4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Stock 4.6 block HP rating

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 01:03 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hellfire0990
If he put in forged pistons, the cobra crank, and forged rods, would that make 465+HP "safe"?

Just wondering if one of you guys with knowledge of this could please answer this question. Thxs!!
Old 08-28-2010, 09:03 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
[/B]

Just wondering if one of you guys with knowledge of this could please answer this question. Thxs!!
I think no one is answering it because it's an astoundingly lazy question--which I define as any question where the one asking is fully capable of answering it for themselves with minimal/trivial effort.

Search the this or other forums, or the web, for information; buy some books about engine building; or just look at vendor's catalogs...

The short answer is, of course it would--which brings it perilously close to a stupid question...

Last edited by cliffyk; 08-28-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:26 PM
hellfire0990

I don't like putting aftermarket parts in my car, or bringing it up to a certain power level, without knowing for a fact that those parts will perform well, and nothing should break. Yes it's obvious that when you said without the forged internals, 465+ horespower would not be safe, that you meant with them it should be. However, I don't like to use facts that are not directly stated. An indirect statement that my Mustang won't blow up with that kind of power does not put my mind at ease. This stuff is expensive, and I like to be certain that someone has experience doing something safely before I try it. Bascially I don't put anything in my car until I get a 100% direct answer, it will be safe. Sorry for sounding stupid
Old 08-29-2010, 02:27 PM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

and nothing should break.

Then really consider against modding your car. I had 3 customers last year blow up brand new engines on the dyno for tuning errors (all 3 went lean). None of them were cheap and most all dyno shops make you sign "no fault" clauses before they touch it. Every one one of them had to buy another complete motor out of their own pockets.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:52 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by nickmckinney
Then really consider against modding your car. I had 3 customers last year blow up brand new engines on the dyno for tuning errors (all 3 went lean). None of them were cheap and most all dyno shops make you sign "no fault" clauses before they touch it. Every one one of them had to buy another complete motor out of their own pockets.
High Performance=no guarantees with this stuff
Old 08-30-2010, 12:58 PM
hellfire0990

I know, that's why I said nothing SHOULD break. I know things go wrong all the time, I just want to be as safe as possible, while still building the car to it's fullest potential. I'd just like to get it there without having to buy a new engine multiple times on the way, if I can.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:33 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I know, that's why I said nothing SHOULD break. I know things go wrong all the time, I just want to be as safe as possible, while still building the car to it's fullest potential. I'd just like to get it there without having to buy a new engine multiple times on the way, if I can.
If by "as safe as possible" you mean as reliable and long lived as possible, then "fullest potential" means leaving it stock as Nick said above. That was Ford's fundamental design goal and unless you consider their engineers to be lacking (which I assure you they are NOT) then I suspect they met that goal.

Many, even most, after market bolt-ons are "safe"--however this is because they don't really do anything.

By themselves, or even in combination, after market "high performance" CAIs, TBs, upper plenums, COPs, etc. produce little power gain, and therefore add little to no additional stress or strain to the engines internal components. The stock tune, configured to use 87 octane fuel, is so pathetic that other than an active power adder there is nothing you could bolt-on that could under any circumstances damage the engine. That of course was another of Ford's design specs.

Even opening up the exhaust (which I recommend as mod #1) adds no strain to the engine--in fact it reduces engine parasitic load, freeing that power up to find its way to the back wheels. The same is true of UDPs, lightweight flywheels/driveshafts/wheels, etc.

However; start tweaking the tune, and/or adding NOS or boost, and you find yourself about to enter "The Unsafe Zone"

Originally Posted by Cliffy Serling

[late night, the garage of a small suburban tract house, a man is bent over the engine bay of a 2000 Mustang GT]

Announcer:

Picture this; consumed with passion and anticipation Woodrow B, Racer (know to his friends as "Wood") is bolting a 12psi twin screw supercharger kit onto his well-worn 135k mile 10-year old Mustang GT--his concerns of its being "safe" have been put aside because of the anecdotal reports found on the forums that others "have had no problems".

[man's wife stares into the garage scowling]

Methodically and to the exclusion of his family's needs, he pours over the installation documents, ensuring that each step has been taken, each nuance fulfilled, each note of caution fully adhered to--but little does does he know he is about to enter...

The Unsafe Zone (bada-da-bummm...).

[fade out]
In the UZ it is entirely possible to shorten the engine's lifespan--sometimes in a quite dramatic fashion...

The unfortunate reality we all share is that there are:
  • Safe(relaible);
  • Fast;
  • Cheap(easy);
Pick any two, that's all you can have...

Last edited by cliffyk; 08-30-2010 at 02:45 PM. Reason: whoops...
Old 08-30-2010, 02:40 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Cliff you are a God.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:30 AM
hellfire0990

I don't mean reliable and long lasting, just not blow up every time I hit the gas. I know heavy modding isn't safe, but I just like to be informed before I do anythying, as informed as possible. I know Ford engineers are genuises, they did make the Mustang after all!
Old 08-31-2010, 12:21 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Here is the gamble you are taking when you boost a stock 2V 4.6L. This is from another forum, the guy never says how much boost he was running. He claims it blew up on him @ 4500 RPM in 4th gear. For a KB GT that means he was booking ***(150+MPH). Its clear that having that much air pressure on the front of the car combined with WOT and boost was too much and the connecting rods buckled under the extreme load. The holes on each side of the block are big enough for an arm. He never says how much PSI he was pushing and we don't know what tune he was running. But considering he had the KB air intake he was over 400RWHP/TQ. Absolutely every component from the oil pan up to the blower was FUBAR'd. Not to mention his engine bay was ruined from the fire and extinguisher's powder. I believe the timing system was the only thing salvageable when all was said and done.

Pay me now or pay me later is what they say I think.
Attached Thumbnails Stock 4.6 block HP rating-afterblowup.jpg   Stock 4.6 block HP rating-oilfireaarm.jpg   Stock 4.6 block HP rating-number3hole.jpg   Stock 4.6 block HP rating-num7hole.jpg  

Quick Reply: Stock 4.6 block HP rating