4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

98 gt oil pump??

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 06:32 AM
fordforlife0225
4th Gear Member

Default 98 gt oil pump??

hey guys. my girl was on her way back to school today. we had been on vacation for the past week and her car was just sitting. well she looks at her guages and her autometer oil pressure guage reads 0 and her factory guage is reading nothing. but her dipstick says there is plenty of oil.

my guess is the oil pump but since im not 100% sure and i dont want to replace it to find out that thats not the problem. any other ideas on what it could be????
Old 08-23-2010, 01:43 PM
yamanx
1st Gear Member

Is it a mechanical oil pressure gauge? If not you may have a wiring issue of some sort.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:47 PM
fordforlife0225
4th Gear Member

im not sure what the after market guage is but the both read 0 pressure and they both hook up to different places so i doesnt make sense to me that both guages would go out at the same time. we are going to run some tests on it tommorow but does anyone know how hard it would be to change the oil pump on this year/model?
Old 08-24-2010, 12:24 PM
yamanx
1st Gear Member

I've heard of people doing it with the motor still in the vehicle. They lifted the motor up from the top and dropped the oil pan and got to it that way, but I heard its a huge PITA. But honestly if they are both electrical I would check that first before the oil pump, just IMO.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:25 PM
fordforlife0225
4th Gear Member

what would be a good way to check the electrical? or if the autometer guage is even electrical or mechanical?

i thought the pump was in the pan but i herd from a mustang tech today that the oil pump is actually in behind the timing chain. BIG job right there. the motor has to come out for that, either that or all the accessories taken off the front of the block so i could fit my body in there.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:32 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Well first I would check to see if the aftermarket gauge is electrical and if its just spliced into the stock OP sending unit. Because if that shorted out that would more than likley be the issue. If the oil pump was stone dead and putting out no pressure at all I would imagine the engine would have a rather loud knock or tick.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:33 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

PS: To check which style gauge you have simply pull it out of the pod, if there is a clear nylon style hose going into that pushed oil to the gauge itself then its mechanical, if theres only electrical wiring its electrical.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:12 AM
fordforlife0225
4th Gear Member

its a mechanical guage and it goes into the engine at a different location that the stock oil sending unit. there was no check engine light either, i check last night and nothing came up. usually a cel would come on if the oil pressure sending unit shorts out or fails. the valve covers are comming off today and we are going to run it for a few seconds to see if oil is comming up and going over the cams.

another this i learned last night is that since the oil pump is run by the crank is is highly unlikley to fail and that this could all be caused because her main bearing have gone out of spec, if the bearings are not in spec then oil wont flow through them. several things to look into again today. i wish i would be something as simple as a collapsed oil filter. but here are some things we still have to get to and check
-pump
-bearings
-pressure release valve
-oil pick up line
Old 08-28-2011, 02:17 PM
Jimmyblaze22

So, where exactly is the oil pump and how do I get to it??? I'd like to replace mine since I can get one for 45 bucks. I got 101,000 miles and I'd like to do some preventative maintenance. Also, I CANNOT get my water pump out no matter what I do!!!!! I've sprayed pb blaster on it but to no avail. Any suggestions??? Also, speaking of oil parts, I have a square bottom oil pan on my 98 mustang gt. I don't think it's stock and it holds 7 1/2 qts. Can't be stock, right? Doesn't look like the Moroso one though.

Last edited by Jimmyblaze22; 08-28-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:35 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jimmyblaze22
So, where exactly is the oil pump and how do I get to it??? I'd like to replace mine since I can get one for 45 bucks. I got 101,000 miles and I'd like to do some preventative maintenance. Also, I CANNOT get my water pump out no matter what I do!!!!! I've sprayed pb blaster on it but to no avail. Any suggestions??? Also, speaking of oil parts, I have a square bottom oil pan on my 98 mustang gt. I don't think it's stock and it holds 7 1/2 qts. Can't be stock, right? Doesn't look like the Moroso one though.
It's cool you used the search function but dont reply to a year old thread with your own question start your own thread
and 101K is nothing on these motors and there is no need to replace the oil pump just for the hell of it. mainly because it is behind the front cover behind where the harmonic balancer would be. and yes your oil pan sounds aftermarket

Quick Reply: 98 gt oil pump??