4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

ford racing speedo recalibration problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 07:50 PM
96meangreengt
2nd Gear Member

Default ford racing speedo recalibration problem

I just came in from installing my ford racing speed dial just like the speed cal and Im having probelms with it. first off I would like to say that you would think when you spend $150 on something like that they would at least send some some sort of connectors. got everything hooked up and when accerating the speedo comes up slow like a 2 sec delay and when coming to a stop you can sit there completly stoped for like 2 sec before it come down to 0 and when driving at a steady pace say 50mph it goes from 45-50-55 then back down over and over. very annoying since tonight was the only time i had time to work on it till this weekend.

The only thing i did different is that i put my ground wire spliced up with the black wire going to my cigarette plug.

Does anyone know what it could be?
Old 08-24-2010, 06:38 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Which model speed cal did you purchase? There are a few out there. Usually the only line to be connected to the cigarette plug is the power wire. What did the directions say to do?
Old 08-24-2010, 05:27 PM
96meangreengt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by devongarver
Which model speed cal did you purchase? There are a few out there. Usually the only line to be connected to the cigarette plug is the power wire. What did the directions say to do?
I got the ford racing one #m-4209adpy-a. all it says on the ground is to find a ground source. i just figured the black wire going to the cigarette wire was a ground. Im going to try to ground it to thr frame if I have enough wire tongiht.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:57 PM
96meangreengt
2nd Gear Member

I put the ground wire to the body and its still the same problem. the only thing it says about the power wire is to hook it up to a power source with the ignition on only, i put it on the cigarette blue wire( i know its powered on all the time) but that really shouldnt matter should it? i mean 12v is 12v?

Where could i hook it up to a ignition on power only? there is only like 12 in of wire.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:23 PM
96meangreengt
2nd Gear Member

finally got the power wire hooked to the ignitoin power only on the radio still does the same thing. funny thing is its still showing the same speed it was befoer i installed it but the mph gauge is really jerking when going up and down and still goes up and down at a steady pace

I put the dial at 0.8.0 for my 4.10 gears and there is a light inside that blinks as your moving but stops when you are stoped

Please anyone that might know? im at my wits end and fixing to send it back to amercan muscle!
Old 08-24-2010, 07:57 PM
JRad405
3rd Gear Member

did you try calling a&m. they sometimes can help you out pretty well with troubleshooting.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:16 PM
96meangreengt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JRad405
did you try calling a&m. they sometimes can help you out pretty well with troubleshooting.
Yeah the guy didnt really know what it could be and the ford tech line is close for today but for what ever reason I decided to run up the road one more time before i pulled it out of the car and it magically fixed itself.

now its still showing faster than what im really going but the jerking of the needle quit. I put in the right digits in the box for my gears and at 1800rpms and still says im going 60mph with the stock 225/55/16 tires and 4.10 gears. i guess i will just have to keep lowing the number on the box till it gets where its supposed to be.

I think according to cliffk's rpm vs gear page it should be at 55mph at 2000rpms in 5th gear.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:43 PM
96meangreengt
2nd Gear Member

new problem arose today with the ford racing speed dial. still cant get it to read the right speed so on the way home today at some stoplights in town i was turning the little dials around to tune in the speed just right and when i went to take off the car died beraly restarted then dies when i took off again. i put the dial back to where i had it before i started messing with it and the car started and ran fine all the way home. I noticed to when turning one of the dials my idle changed for a split sec. Talk to AM and ford tech line and they think its a ground problem. I hooked my ground to the body right beside the shifter and clean all the paint off before i put my self tapping screw in so i would think its a good ground.

It there a way to check if you have a good ground with a multimeter?

Im gonna run a wire from the ground of the speed dial directly to the battery gorund this weekend and if that dost fix it i dont know what it could be I dont think AM will take it back since its electrical and I already hooked it up.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:45 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Did you install it using the VSS harness on the transmission, or from the engine harness in under the hood? Here is the recommended installation procedures just in case. The best way to check if you have a good ground is to find the resistance between the grounding point and the negative terminal on the battery. You should have relatively low resistance. Likely .5 ohms or less. You can also measure the voltage from negative post to your ground location. It should read 0V. Any reading of voltage shows a potential difference and means there is enough resistance to cause a voltage drop. Honestly, with your description of the behavior of the device, I do not think it is a bad ground. I think it is a faulty device or you have a signal wire swapped with a ground wire.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:40 PM
96meangreengt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by devongarver
Did you install it using the VSS harness on the transmission, or from the engine harness in under the hood? Here is the recommended installation procedures just in case. The best way to check if you have a good ground is to find the resistance between the grounding point and the negative terminal on the battery. You should have relatively low resistance. Likely .5 ohms or less. You can also measure the voltage from negative post to your ground location. It should read 0V. Any reading of voltage shows a potential difference and means there is enough resistance to cause a voltage drop. Honestly, with your description of the behavior of the device, I do not think it is a bad ground. I think it is a faulty device or you have a signal wire swapped with a ground wire.
I just came in and I grounded my ford racing spped dial ground directly to the ground on the battery and still the same thing. I highly doubt AM is gonna take it back because it is a eletrical part. This very annoying to spend $150 on a ford part that doens't work when i could of got the speed cal for $100 and i know it works.

Quick Reply: ford racing speedo recalibration problem