4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

03 Mach vs 05 GT

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 02:33 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 03 Mach vs 05 GT

ive been working in the car business for sometime and i dont reccomend buying a completely redesigned car in its first production year...too many probs...the mach 1 will have all the kinks worked out from the factory
Old 08-12-2005, 02:34 PM
Acer2428
Site Mod

well:

If you want to go blown, get the 3v. They're making 450+rwhp on the new whipple and 400-450 with the 1.7L KB.
If you're going nitrous or n/a, get the mach.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:03 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

Ford is more than doubling its output this year for Mustangs from its original estimates. In a couple more years you will see '05+ Mustangs everywhere. The Mach 1 is a great car that you really don't see too much on the highways. One of the major car magazines rated the Mach 1 as the "best overall" Mustang, even over the Cobra due to its "bang-for-the-buck" rating. Easy to get extra ponies out of her as well. While I love the new GT's leather seats, something about the rest of the interior kind of leaves me cold. The rounded, dual seating pod areas of the last 10 years seems to actually be a more progressive design than the newer, retro look. Something to be said for TOO MUCH retro. Mach 1......nice car!
Old 08-13-2005, 03:02 AM
jishead
2nd Gear Member

I vote Mach I. I would not by an '05 (first year, new model). My friend has an '04 Mach 1 and has achieved 299RWHP with only a couple few mods. It's got the 4v, bigger brakes, cooler interior, hood scoop, different tips, frame connectors or something etc etc. You don't regret it.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:13 AM
LS2_GTO
1st Gear Member

Get the MACH 1.... The new stang is nice, but I think the stuling of the 03' 04' is sweet. Besides the "retro" thing will be out shortly. Its a fad. I think
Old 08-13-2005, 03:17 AM
guarnibl
1st Gear Member

If you're planning on putting heavy mods on this car go with the 05 GT. If you're going to just do basic bolt ons go with the Mach. From what I understand the 05's really shine with a blower

If you want something that's rare and "unique" the Mach 1 will fit you better... even more so than a Cobra IMO. Although personally I'd choose the 05 GT over the Mach 1 and the Cobra over both
Old 08-13-2005, 04:56 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: guarnibl

If you're planning on putting heavy mods on this car go with the 05 GT. If you're going to just do basic bolt ons go with the Mach. From what I understand the 05's really shine with a blower

If you want something that's rare and "unique" the Mach 1 will fit you better... even more so than a Cobra IMO. Although personally I'd choose the 05 GT over the Mach 1 and the Cobra over both
Although personally I'd choose the 05 GT over the Mach 1 and the Cobra over both

WOW Id take the mach over the gt and the cobra over two new gt's. Why would a 05 be so much better than the mach with a blower? Can u not make 4-450rwhp with a KB mach? I thought 3v<4v. I dont know, but i say MACH 1!
Old 08-13-2005, 08:42 AM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Deannostang

Ford is more than doubling its output this year for Mustangs from its original estimates. In a couple more years you will see '05+ Mustangs everywhere. The Mach 1 is a great car that you really don't see too much on the highways. One of the major car magazines rated the Mach 1 as the "best overall" Mustang, even over the Cobra due to its "bang-for-the-buck" rating. Easy to get extra ponies out of her as well. While I love the new GT's leather seats, something about the rest of the interior kind of leaves me cold. The rounded, dual seating pod areas of the last 10 years seems to actually be a more progressive design than the newer, retro look. Something to be said for TOO MUCH retro. Mach 1......nice car!
And I thought it was just me. I love those new seats, but the rest, particularly the guages, they can keep. I wonder if the '05 seats have the same bolt alignment as the '04? Hmmmmm.....

Go with the Mach 1. Both can be modified, both can be blown, both have cast rods and pistons... I read an article recently where they put a KB 2.2 on a stock Mach 1 and ran 10's. It was too much on the stock internals, but you can cut back on the boost and probably run mid 11's without much worry. Plus, the 3V ECU is very sensitive to mods.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:48 AM
Obselite
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LS2_GTO

Get the MACH 1.... The new stang is nice, but I think the stuling of the 03' 04' is sweet. Besides the "retro" thing will be out shortly. Its a fad. I think
Wow, that's a great looking GTO. One of the best i've ever seen. Great job on that car!

Anyways, everyone makes this sound like it's such an easy decision, but I don't find it quite that simple. The new 3v are putting out great numbers, they're heavier, but they have an upgraded suspension, and are the new "talk of the town." Sure they're a dime a dozen, but most of those are v6's. Furthermore, they have put out excellent numbers with blowers (much better than the Mach has put out on a stock engine). Their interior has been redefined, although I don't think Ford did the car justice. It has upgraded security features, styling and aerodynamics (Ford has never been very good with that).

Onto the Mach. Of course the visual features makes the car easy to spot, with the ram air hood, and the front grille and chin spoiler (I think those come stock, right?). The upgrades from the 99-04 gt's are great, including the new and improved 4v engine that allows superior flow, and power. Also, It has some different handling upgrades. They can be built up because their blocks are damn strong! This also makes the Mach a great candidate for a nice N2O shot.

In the end, they really are close. I would assume you can get the Mach for a little cheaper. So I would go with that, simply because of its cheaper price, but also because of it's historic value. Mach 1's cannot be found everywhere, so that makes them quite the collectible. Another reason the Mach would be a better choice, is because with the spare money you can buy some goodies for it: full exhaust, and anything else you may want for howeve much you save...probably gears.

Good luck and let us know what you come up with.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:29 PM
Acer2428
Site Mod

Do you care about power or looks/"street credit"?

Do you plan on going blown or not?

Do you plan on nitrous or not?

Are you getting an automatic (in that case, cya mach1)

What is your budget?

You have got to give us something to work with, otherwise the reccomendations are worthless.

AND... to those wondering,y ou cannot get the same numbers out of the mach b/c it has a high compression piston setup, allowing one to run less boost before detonation occurs. the 3v's are lower and allow the 2.3L whipple to do its job.