MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   Dome Light and Driver Window (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/614545-dome-light-and-driver-window.html)

bryantwalley 08-25-2010 01:30 PM

Dome Light and Driver Window

Hey All,

I got something wierd going on. If I use my key remote to unlock the car, the dome light gets stuck on. If I drive for a while 20-30 miles I will hear a tone and the light will go off.

I am also having problems with the driver window rolling down. Seems at random times when I press the switch I will hear the click under the dash but the window will do nothing. Then out of the blue it will work fine.

The click seems to come from a black box between the fuse box and the fender wall but I can not be sure.

Any body have any ideas on what is going on with this?

Mustang is a 2004 GT

TEXASx2000xMUSTANGx 08-25-2010 02:08 PM

i have the exact same problem with my 2000 GT so if you find out wahts wrong please let me know!

lizzyfan 08-25-2010 09:06 PM

Dome light staying on is from your door switch going bad
Common Ford issue

stangladesh 08-26-2010 01:15 PM

had that dome light issue and found out that the wire had a connection problem. the tech who put in my alarm had cut it and tried to splice it back together. i got under there and put in a better splice. i think that wire is purple. if i think about it this evening i will take a pic of it or it could be a door switch like lizzy fan stated. the window issue could be a shotty motor or relay.

devongarver 08-26-2010 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by bryantwalley (Post 7169768)
Hey All,

I got something wierd going on. If I use my key remote to unlock the car, the dome light gets stuck on. If I drive for a while 20-30 miles I will hear a tone and the light will go off.

I am also having problems with the driver window rolling down. Seems at random times when I press the switch I will hear the click under the dash but the window will do nothing. Then out of the blue it will work fine.

The click seems to come from a black box between the fuse box and the fender wall but I can not be sure.

Any body have any ideas on what is going on with this?

Mustang is a 2004 GT

For the door, this is super common, a search will reveal a bazillion threads on it. It is the motor. Slam the door while holding the switch in up or down, whichever direction you are trying to go, and it will jar the motor just enough usually to kick start it so to speak.

For the dome light...does it do it ONLY when the remote has been used to unlock, or does it do it every time you get in the car?

jjandascog 08-26-2010 02:12 PM

+1 on the doem light switch being bad, as said it is a common problem. It is located in the latch of the door, not hard to change.

The window sounds like a motor going out, replace motor

Kong1965 08-26-2010 07:23 PM

+2 on the dome light switch. Typical Ford problem. I've done swaps X3 on F150s.

With the window, I also find it to be a switch problem. The rocker switches can fail, and without replacement you will never be able to solve the problem. Again easy to replace. Try some contact cleaner first.