4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Yet another problem, getting tired of my car!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 10:30 AM
huey_33
2nd Gear Member

Default Yet another problem, getting tired of my car!

Other than my 98 GT still burning a alot of oil, she has devolped another problem within the last few weeks. Sounds like my car is starting to run very lean. A couple weeks ago I noticed my gas mileage started getting real bad. Heres how bad it is now. I put a half tank of gas in my car on tuesday and had to refill it on thursday. And I don't drive that much either, just to and from work on base and in town sometimes. Going through a half tank of gas in two days is not normal considering it usually takes me a week and a half to go through a full tank. And I am also getting a very bad smell of gas coming from the exhaust. Don't feel like taking it to a shop right now (money issue) and was wondering what, if anything there is that I can do to try and see whats wrong with my car now. Car has no loss of power and still runs good, other than the nauseating smell of the exhaust. Thanks.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:38 AM
96meangreengt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by huey_33
Other than my 98 GT still burning a alot of oil, she has devolped another problem within the last few weeks. Sounds like my car is starting to run very lean. A couple weeks ago I noticed my gas mileage started getting real bad. Heres how bad it is now. I put a half tank of gas in my car on tuesday and had to refill it on thursday. And I don't drive that much either, just to and from work on base and in town sometimes. Going through a half tank of gas in two days is not normal considering it usually takes me a week and a half to go through a full tank. And I am also getting a very bad smell of gas coming from the exhaust. Don't feel like taking it to a shop right now (money issue) and was wondering what, if anything there is that I can do to try and see whats wrong with my car now. Car has no loss of power and still runs good, other than the nauseating smell of the exhaust. Thanks.

I dont think a lean condition would cause bad gas mileage or a gas smell from the exhuast, maybe a rich condition.

Check the codes to see if its throwing any. any parts store like autozone we check the code for free.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:12 PM
huey_33
2nd Gear Member

Sorry, my bad, thats what I meant. It's running rich. I dont know why I said lean. Anyways, it's not throwing any codes and everything is working properly and its still running good.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:01 PM
hot sauce
2nd Gear Member

it just seems like your using alot of gas because you only filled it to half way. 25 bucks will take my cobra to a little below 3/4th of a tank but it will take another 20 to go from 3/4th of a tank to a full tank
Old 08-29-2010, 06:28 PM
DIY
2nd Gear Member

It wouldn't hurt to have your O2 sensors checked out. Faulty O2 sensors will hurt fuel economy and may account for that smell as well. Are you still running the factory midpipe? Maybe one of the catalytic convertors is clogged.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:34 AM
huey_33
2nd Gear Member

Even if I fill the tank all the way, it will use up the whole tank in about 4-5 days. Something is way off and it's driving me crazy. And I do not have the original mid-pipe on it either. Put an off road X on it about a year ago, so no, I don't have any cats. How do I get the O2's checked out?
Old 08-30-2010, 10:10 AM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Calculate your MPGs and report back.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:00 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

^+1 Hangwire, I drive 27mi to and from work each day and I can almost burn through a 1/4 tank in a day. Mine is running perfectly fine as well. You didn't specify how far you drive and what you drive )highway/backroad). My commute is about 50/50 highway and backroad.

Fill your tank, set your trip-ometer to zero...drive for a week or so then fill up again. When you fill up again take note of the miles you put on and how much gas you just put in...divide the 2 and bingo...there is your MPG's.

My car smells from having no cats....but I'm guessing this is a "new" bad smell that has just shown up?
Old 08-30-2010, 01:04 PM
huey_33
2nd Gear Member

One step ahead of you guys. The the MPG thing about a week and a half ago. Filled it up and got 140 miles to the tank, but I will do it again because I am pretty sure it is worse than that now. And I am in the military and live on base so my drive to work is just over a mile. So regardless, I dont drive all that much.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:26 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by huey_33
That does not tell us much about how your gas mileage is...you could put in 1/2 a tank...drive then refill on thursday with 1/4 tank left. Or start with 1/2 and refill with a gallon left lol

I'm assuming you were almost empty when refilling on thursday?

In any case do figure out the mileage again all the while trying to keep the same driving style....If you were just driving like a normal human being when you figured it out before and the next time you are doing WOT runs every other day....well that won't be accurate obviously.

Quick Reply: Yet another problem, getting tired of my car!