4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Here's an idea

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 08:48 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Default Here's an idea

So, I was thinking about exhaust and how someone makes a thread every week about "how is this setup" yada yada. What if (and I don't see this happening) companies are able to set something up where they are able to install a kit you may be interested in and give it a "test drive". If you like it you can buy a new kit.

It would be similar to test driving a car lol. This would far fetched, but would be sweet to be able to do. Granted they would prob have to charge extra for this install/removal of the "testing kit".

Just thinking out loud and bored at work lol.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:09 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Doubt it would work lol because youtube videos can do the same for less effort lol well to at least get an idea about the sound lol
Old 08-30-2010, 09:17 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

True, but youtube will never give you the real feeling for it. You can get a general tone, but in terms interior noise, the computer can not accuatly portray drone, which is important to me.

My perfect exhaust would be one that I can hear the car, have ZERO drone and scream at you when getting on it. I'm more for making mine a "nice" ride, comfy, and not something I have to worry about my ears on longer trips lol

I know it won't happen, but would be neat if it did.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:17 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

that would most likely cost the company more than it would benefit them. its a great idea though and it would no doubt help the consumer pick out an exhaust system. i just don't see how it would be a benefit to the company without substantial costs. what if they spend all that money to lend it out and the customer thinks it sounds like crap?

another idea would be to start this company yourself. not sure i would go through with it though. for one, you would have to have every exhaust combo (at least the most popular ones) for all the different cars out there. that is straight cash. also, how much would you charge the customer to "rent" the cat back? how would you be sure you got it back in one piece? a lot of questions are raised and im not sure theres a good answer for any of them.

a more realistic way to go about this with MF would be to create a sticky compiled with different videos of members exhaust setups.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:02 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

would never happen. anytime you install a catback, you screw it up one way or the other. and i would never pay full price for a USED catback, so the company automatically loses money everytime some dumb kid wants to windowshop exhausts.

when you install a catback theres 2 ways to do it.

1) weld all the pipes in and all that fun stuff. if you don't like it, they have to cut pipes and or try to cut welds off. this usually leaves a bunch of hacked up pipes which can easily be rigged for another user, but is no where near as nice fitting and installing as a fresh pair of pipes

2) exhaust clamps. alot of catbacks come with U clamps. these crimp one pipe around a smaller diameter pipe. even after you remove the clamp, the pipe is still bent. usually you can't get the 2 pipes separated atleast not without a blowtorch, a lot of hands to pull it, and some finaggling.

this idea will never happen...EVER. like said, this will cost the company WAY too much money to do. unless you want to start paying 2000-3000+ for a catback for the company to recover their lost profits from some kid that wanted to try 10 different mufflers out. would you personally pay full price (anywhere from 350-800+ dollars) for a catback thats already been partially welded, cut in places it shouldnt, or has all the pipes bent to ****?

Last edited by MU71L4710N; 08-30-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:04 PM
Spilotro
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 945LSTANG
that would most likely cost the company more than it would benefit them. its a great idea though and it would no doubt help the consumer pick out an exhaust system. i just don't see how it would be a benefit to the company without substantial costs. what if they spend all that money to lend it out and the customer thinks it sounds like crap?

another idea would be to start this company yourself. not sure i would go through with it though. for one, you would have to have every exhaust combo (at least the most popular ones) for all the different cars out there. that is straight cash. also, how much would you charge the customer to "rent" the cat back? how would you be sure you got it back in one piece? a lot of questions are raised and im not sure theres a good answer for any of them.

a more realistic way to go about this with MF would be to create a sticky compiled with different videos of members exhaust setups.

^ Totally agree with everything above.

There may be a way to do such a business profitably, but I haven't thought of it yet. I'm working on it though.