4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Why won't my Mach 1 go?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 01:06 AM
postmastrr

Default Why won't my Mach 1 go?

So on my home from work tonight, i went to down shift from 5th to 3rd, and it wouldnt go in to 3rd. So i got it into 4th eventually and continued up the road until i hit the next light. I then had trouble getting it into gear, then when I took took off, i heard some chattering, and the car took off very rough. I managed to limp home, and as I crawled up my drive way, in first gear, I reached my garage. I put it back in 1st gear, and let the clutch out to clear the garage door, but nothing happened. I tried all my gears, just letting the clutch out, even reverse, still no movement. Now i dont know alot about transmissions, but this would kind of point to the clutch being bad correct? Now let me tell you...I ran in a burn out competition about 2 months back and ended up burning my clutch more than my tires, literally to the point that smoke was pouring out of my hood, so I would take that into account. I'm actually surprised the clutch has lasted this long, considering it has 70K miles on it. But how probable is it that something is wrong internally with the transmission? Or do these symptoms mirror a wrecked clutch/flywheel/pressure plate?
Old 09-02-2010, 03:15 AM
Unsullied_Spy
1st Gear Member

When you say it wouldn't go, would the engine rev up but the car wouldn't move? Sounds to me like your clutch is just shot. I don't see why your transmission would be damaged, you just need to replace the clutch. Clutches don't have very much material on them, if you smoked it hard enough to get smoke to come from under the hood it's a very good bet you need to replace the clutch.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:47 AM
Spilotro
2nd Gear Member

^ +1, sounds like it's just your clutch. That's a beautiful Mach 1, be kind to it!
Old 09-02-2010, 07:52 AM
0949er
4th Gear Member

i bet that smelled horrible....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFHwzmzt8GE
Old 09-02-2010, 09:21 AM
00blk4.6

wow you must really be hard on your car. i have a stock clutch with 173k on it and its fine.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:17 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 00blk4.6
wow you must really be hard on your car. i have a stock clutch with 173k on it and its fine.
160k and change on mines... however the TOB did just start rattling lol.

O.P nice numbers for the mods you have... gotta love teh 4vs... machs in general.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:40 PM
postmastrr

Well I wouldnt say i'm very hard on my car...but when you go to a burnout pit, You should expect to put a little stress on parts. My mistake was when I tried to go from 2nd gear to 3rd gear, I didnt realize the tires werent spinning until after about 20 seconds. The car drove fine for a while like I said, but then this. I have long tubes, and I swore I would never mess with those again after I put them on all by myself. So i'm going to take it to a shop where the will rip out my entire front suspension, K-member, then my headers so they can get the tranny off and install my new RAM HDX clutch and billet steel flywheel. Whole thing will end up costing me about a cool grand all together. Really wish i had the time and the tools to do my headers again, but I no longer have access to the right equipment.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:58 PM
fordforlife0225
4th Gear Member

burnout competition... really.

HEY everyone, lets see who can be the biggest idiot. go drag racing if you want to win something but sitting there and roasting your tires and trans and the stress it puts on everything else is just stupid. sorry just my opinion.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:15 PM
postmastrr

Ah, a cat person....figures. If youre not going to say anything nice, don't say anything at all. You have your idea of fun, and I have mine. Lets not judge each other.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:14 AM
Unsullied_Spy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by postmastrr
Well I wouldnt say i'm very hard on my car...but when you go to a burnout pit, You should expect to put a little stress on parts. My mistake was when I tried to go from 2nd gear to 3rd gear, I didnt realize the tires werent spinning until after about 20 seconds. The car drove fine for a while like I said, but then this. I have long tubes, and I swore I would never mess with those again after I put them on all by myself. So i'm going to take it to a shop where the will rip out my entire front suspension, K-member, then my headers so they can get the tranny off and install my new RAM HDX clutch and billet steel flywheel. Whole thing will end up costing me about a cool grand all together. Really wish i had the time and the tools to do my headers again, but I no longer have access to the right equipment.
Doesn't it feel different when the clutch is slipping rather than the tires?

Is that grand including the parts or just labor? If it's including parts I'd say that's a good deal. When I replaced the clutch in my GT (pilot bearing went out, replaced the clutch while I was in there) I was quoted $600 for labor alone and I spend a bit under $300 for my clutch. I said screw the shop and my Dad and I did it ourselves. Do LTs get in the way of the tranny? One of the harder parts of doing mine was getting up to the bolts holding the midpipe to the stock manifolds but on LTs those bolts would be really easy to get to.

Quick Reply: Why won't my Mach 1 go?