4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

new gt

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 07:59 PM
02stangridin
2nd Gear Member

Default new gt

Hello everybody,

Last time I was on this forum I had an 02 mustang V6 but a couple years later I now have a 2002 mustang gt. I have a few questions though. Number one, when the car idles I can hear a small squeaking from under the car. (Kinda sounds like a belt but its under the car) I had a buddy tell me it may be the A/C but im no mechanic so I have no idea. Any suggestions would be great. My car also has a performance racing clutch that was just installed before I got it but it is VERY stiff. Is there any way to adjust the stiffness? I dont know if its the fluid or the slave cylinder. Also, My car is a Gt but has the cobra independent suspension in it and im looking to lower it. So im gonna have to get springs for a cobra I am guessing? Is there anybody selling a set of springs? I would like to get the eibach pro kit or sportlines. Thanks for any help!
Old 09-02-2010, 08:56 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

If you have the IRS in the rear, you will need cobra specific springs...

As for the squeak, kinda hard to diagnose without hearing it.

And our clutch pressure can't be adjusted. We have a clutch cable, not a hydraulic clutch. You're either going to have to take it out and get a new one, or live with it. These clutches aren't light to begin with, at least my stocker isn't...
Old 09-02-2010, 10:03 PM
02stangridin
2nd Gear Member

Yeah as far as the IRS, only the rear suspension is different from the GT right? the front is the same as the GT if im not mistaken. I really might have to change out the clutch because this one is very stiff and I do a lot of city driving in the car. Thanks for the input.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:13 AM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Front suspension is the same. You can put cobra front springs in a GT for a nice increase in handling. GT has #450 front springs or something and the cobras have #600. But the rear is a totally different animal. It uses different shocks, springs, etc. I wish i had an IRS They ride nice
Old 09-04-2010, 09:45 AM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

The sqeaking could be your tob.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:32 PM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by hpwrestler220
Front suspension is the same. You can put cobra front springs in a GT for a nice increase in handling. GT has #450 front springs or something and the cobras have #600. But the rear is a totally different animal. It uses different shocks, springs, etc. I wish i had an IRS They ride nice
I'd like to as well if i got the chance to trade with someone who wanted to ditch their IRS but im too stiff with money to spend it to swap in a new IRS. I really think Ford screwed up with that. Meaning Ford should have put the irs in the Gt's and gave the cobra what they put in the GT. our gt's run better going straight not having the irs while the cobra's irs is geared towards the twisties. I've known quite a few cobra guys whom fought a gt dude to trade straight up (swap) suspensions. Which imo is a WIN-WIN for each person. Because the majority of cobra's are track goers.