4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Right Rear Tire Rubbing - Lowered, 18x10, 295/35/18

Old 09-10-2010, 12:27 PM
Kdaddy
2nd Gear Member

Angry Right Rear Tire Rubbing - Lowered, 18x10, 295/35/18

Title says it all folks, but for some reason only my right rear tire is rubbing. It's lowered with H&R Sport Springs. Fenders are not rolled. I know it's hitting the fender, but why?

I talked to a few local mustang guys around here who are even lower than I am and do not rub whatsoever. They told me to look into Control Arm Bushings and Torque Boxes. Was hoping some of you suspension guru's could offer some help. Thanks!!

Last edited by Kdaddy; 09-10-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:28 PM
Kdaddy
2nd Gear Member

Just a note it onlt rubs when i do EXTREME cornering (at a stop turn the wheel all the way right, floor it, and fish tail into a turn). Still, shouldn't be rubbing I feel.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:42 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Where is it rubbing? At the top of the fender?

I'm confused when it will rub when turning right in aggressive turns....that means the load is on the left side wheels.

My first thought would be that the rear end is floating around. When you corner to the right hard, the body wants to fly to the left, and the axle and wheels stay put due to the tires grip to the road possibly causing your rubbing.

Maybe jack up the rear via the frame and let the axle hang...then try to push/pull the axle from side to side and see if you have any play? If you do then that will only be magnified under cornering.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:30 PM
Kdaddy
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by smitty2919
Where is it rubbing? At the top of the fender?

I'm confused when it will rub when turning right in aggressive turns....that means the load is on the left side wheels.

My first thought would be that the rear end is floating around. When you corner to the right hard, the body wants to fly to the left, and the axle and wheels stay put due to the tires grip to the road possibly causing your rubbing.

Maybe jack up the rear via the frame and let the axle hang...then try to push/pull the axle from side to side and see if you have any play? If you do then that will only be magnified under cornering.
Yeah, it's rubbing at 10 on the clock, assuming the top center is 12. The car (body roll?) was swaying from left to right on that maneuver trying to gain traction it felt like. That was also the stunt that chunked out my tire. Going to jack it up in a few and see if i can get any play. Will let you all know.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:00 PM
Kdaddy
2nd Gear Member

Hrm, now I'm by all means not a tough guy or anything.. but I just can't get that axle to give me any play. I checked the rear torque boxes. and they seem to be in place. I know they are only spot welded, but nothing looks out of the ordinary. I checked the control arm bushings and I did find some to be chipped and cracked. A sign of age? Overall, i think It could be my springs stance.

Oddly, my passenger side sits higher than my driver side- so you'd think the left side would scrape before the right. I'm beginning to think it's just my fenders that need rolled, but it still doesn't solve why I'm rubbing to begin with.. It just shouldn't.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:52 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

its rubbing because your rear suspension is soft and on bumps the rear of the car bounces enough to dip down and cut into your tire. You need to roll ur fenders and if you REALLY want to stop the bottoming out you need a lot stiffer spring or something that will keep the car from dipping so low/hard.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:47 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

The axle is rarely centered under your ride and one of the benifits of a PHB or WL installation. I recommend you address the issue as mentioned above and roll the fenders. They will cut the tires up anyway, so might as well avoid this issue at the same time.

Jazzer
Old 09-10-2010, 07:36 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
The axle is rarely centered under your ride and one of the benifits of a PHB or WL installation. I recommend you address the issue as mentioned above and roll the fenders. They will cut the tires up anyway, so might as well avoid this issue at the same time.

Jazzer
That's what I was trying to get at lol Jazzer is good at simplifying. When they do alignments they align the front tires to the rear ones. So technically the rear axle could not be perfectly perpendicular to the body, but they make the front wheels parallel with the rear so the car will drive straight.

Rolling the fenders would help. But on the off chance that the axle is not centered left to right that bad and throwing your 18's on made you realize that.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:56 PM
Kdaddy
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys. So fenders rolled and stiffer spring. I'm actually going to scrap my car's whole suspension design and start from a clean plate. Defnitely doing Maximum Motorsports Bilstein Coilovers up front. Debating the rears- like i enjoy spirited confident drives, I take my car to the drag strip, and I would like to eventually do some auto crossing. I'm thinking rear coilovers will still benefit me.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:00 PM
Kdaddy
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat

Jazzer
How did you roll your fenders? About to take a baseball bat to it, lol. The bodys shops around here want to charge me $100 to actually cut out a portion of the fenders (not past the spot welds) and repaint it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Right Rear Tire Rubbing - Lowered, 18x10, 295/35/18