4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

I need wisdom, advice or anything. Sorry about the lenght.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:37 PM
JamesDean
2nd Gear Member

Default I need wisdom, advice or anything. Sorry about the lenght.

Sorry about the length but this has been an ordeal that has spanned and ruined my bank account and summer. HELP PLEASE! I only inches away from begging on the corner for pennies.

At the beginning of summer I took my car to a shop and had cnc ported heads and comp camshafts installed completed with a dyno tune. Then a few weeks (I think 2 weeks or even less) I had a new transmission, and clutch installed at a different shop (they are the best transmission shop ever and I have not complaints regarding their work, it is the first shop that is in question). This includes everything except the shifter and the clutch pedal. Then I took my car to the track and ran an embarrassing 14.6 followed by a worse 16.4 and catastrophic failure. I took my car to the shop that did the heads and cams, this is a shop that only specializes in mustang aftermarket performance modifications, and they told me the car was running lean and the position was not making a full stroke.

Well this forced me to install a new block and rotating assembly. This involved new injectors, plugs, pistons, rods, block, fuel pump, and alternator (that was included for other reasons) as well as an oil change. On my back from that shop I could hear some chirping coming from underneath the dirver seat in the car. I called the fist shop and they told me that it was likely the throw-out bearing. This was later corrected by the transmission shop who looked at it and told me that fingers on the pressure plate were bent. Without placing blame the tranny shop said it could be one of three things: 1. When stabbing the engine with the tranny something could have gone wrong. 2. Faulty parts 3. During the engine failure the crank could have done something.

So I called the first shop and they told me that did not touch the tranny. Later they admitted to noticing that I had a cobra clutch installed, which is in fact what I bought for the car, but how could they notice this and not notice the bent fingers on the clutch?

Then today I was driving the car and I noticed the oil gauge was low. I have only had the car for 2000 miles after the new block was installed and less than 5000 after the heads an cam went in, and when I check the oil it was low. When I checked, I had the results verified by a mechanic and my father who is also a car guy, it was low. How low on oil? It took 5 quarts to register oil on the dipstick. There is no evidence of leaking, or oil in the coolant. The should mean that I am burring oil right?

Can anyone tell me anything that would help me. I feel like I am getting screwed, or ****ty work. I am not one to complain or fight with people on things like this, but I am flat broke and my car is about to cost me even more money. The shop said they would stand behind the block, and help with the heads if need be, but they have not yet taken responsibility for the bent fingers on the clutch, they did not take the hit for the injectors, and I am afraid they will make up something to escape blame for the mysterious disappearance of oil in my car so they can charge me more money to fix it.
I
plan talking to another shop in the area to get their opinion, and all of the mechanics I know. But what is going on? I need advice.

When they did the heads and cams in the fist place should the injectors and pump have been upgraded?

What is more likely to cause bent fingers on my clutch, the crankshaft or incorrect installation?

What is causing my car to burn though 5 quarts of oil? Seemingly without a sign, believe me I am very sensitive when it comes to my car, and nobody ever saw smoke rising from my tail pipes and a lot guys who work on cars and are very car savvy never noticed?

I apologize for the length and shotty spelling and grammar but I am in a hurry. I drive a 2003 Mustang GT. If you need more info I’ll be on later.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:36 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

What comp cams did you have installed?

Sounds like the place that installed your motor messed up your clutch when they reinstalled it. I'm not sure what you mean by this statement: "they told me the car was running lean and the position was not making a full stroke." Do you mean piston?

And it sounds like they didn't put oil in the motor if you were 5qts low with no signs of leaking.

Sorry to hear about all the trouble to have went through.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:56 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

i agreewith gearhead above. sounds like that shop either has poor quality employees or is a bad shop in general
Old 09-11-2010, 09:01 PM
GEARHEAD94
1st Gear Member

It sounds like you are getting screwed over by the first shop. If they replaced your engine they probally bent your new pressure plate. I hope you can get everything worked out.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:07 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

dang dude.... I am sorry U gotta go through all that crap. Does it STILL burn oil or was it just once when you checked it?

was the car even tuned? or did you just slap it on and then go to the track??
Old 09-11-2010, 10:32 PM
swarthyfellow
3rd Gear Member

you would have notice 5 qrts of oil being burned or spilled, that is alot of oil, even a an engine in bad shape burns at most 2 qrts every 3000 miles... Somewhere along the way things were screwed up. is it still loosing oil after check/adding? is the engine running aright?
Old 09-11-2010, 11:03 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

The fingers were no doubt bent during the install of the engine. There is nothing the crank can do to mess up the fingers.

Sounds like they did not tune your car like they said the first time which is what led to your engine failure.

The oil burning can be a number of things. Bad break in would be first guess. Is it still losing oil since you filled it up? If not then they didn't put enough oil in.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:15 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Wow man I'm very sorry to hear that.. I would most def get a second and maybe third opinion. Also I would think about getting a lawyer...
Old 09-11-2010, 11:50 PM
DIY
2nd Gear Member

As previously stated, you should closely monitor the oil level. It is possible that they installed the new engine, broke it in, drained the break - in oil and then forgot to refill with fresh oil. If you don't have one already, try to get an itemized receipt from them. It should list everything that you paid for during the install. If something as important as a break - in oil change or computer tune isn't listed, then you'll have some solid ground to stand on if you go the legal route.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:31 AM
jserio
1st Gear Member

My heart goes out to you dude. I've somewhat been there with different circumstances but I know how you feel. Well for one thing I suggest you check that oil constantly for awhile. If you do not notice any real losses then I would say the oil was not there to begin with. Second borrow the few bucks and have that clutch fix and be done with it. TBH I am completely surprised that engine is still running after having no oil in it. In any event I hope you get it worked out without taking any more hits.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I need wisdom, advice or anything. Sorry about the lenght.