4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

cobra manifold mysteries

Old 09-28-2010, 08:19 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

I got mine off Latemodelresto about 4 years ago but I just checked there website and they don't have it listed anymore. I know for a fact that it is called a Thermostat Housing
Old 09-28-2010, 09:00 PM
NuclearMuscle523
SCAM ALERT! This person is known around the internet for ripping people off. You've been warned.

God it's these little parts that are going to destroy me in this swap.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:15 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NuclearMuscle523
Ok from now on I'll call it a teksid aluminum 4.6 w/ ported b heads and all forged race internals. Is the iac normally something easy to delete? I've heard people having issues with these things giving out real easy. And I noticed the water pump inlet is underneath the manifold, what does that go too? And the coolant crossover has a hose that goes to the upper part of the radiator, and another hose that goes down to a junction with the oil cooler. What is that junction?
Yeah.... your car will run like ****... or not at all without an IAC, the coolant crossover has two sensors on it, (i think thats what the other thing was) i know for a fact ones a coolant temp sensor. The other hose goes back to the radiatior IIRC... its been a while.

Well i thought the iac was part of the throttle body, and i am using a gt500 throttle body, so it might be more doable. And the thermostat housing is all the way at the bottom of the engine? I thought that's what it looked like. That's a new concept to me.
No its not part of the TB, the IAC is located on the other side of the intake.

Heres some pics of when i had my entire intake manifold off, hope it helps a little.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/svt-...-part-1-a.html

FYI the IAC is the sensor at the bottom right (looking at the pic, polished metal).

err not too much of the coolant shown there if you like i can take pics of where that hose goes for you tomorrow.

God it's these little parts that are going to destroy me in this swap.

yes they are lol.

Last edited by SVTeeshirt; 09-28-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:30 PM
NuclearMuscle523
SCAM ALERT! This person is known around the internet for ripping people off. You've been warned.

I guess it will all be much easier to do when I get the haynes tomorrow. AND GET THE IMRC DELETE. jesus that looked terrible. I assume that buildup is from the pcv system, well I deleted that too haha. So it's a little more forward of the engine in relation to the egr valve? With the shiny cylinder? the issue I have with the concept, is that it most likely need something electronic in order to operate. I don't know how I can carry that on with the gt500 harness.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:45 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

yeah thats the IAC, yeah haynes manuals are always nice, Electronics and sensors are ANNOYING AS HELL!

get rid of as much as you can legally or you can get away with anyway lol, its just less that can go wrong and more room to work with.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:53 PM
NuclearMuscle523

for me, it's the pleasure of not having so much to go wrong with the engine and to dress it up more. That being said, there will be no a/c, egr system, pcv system, imrc's, and all unnecessary wires will be chased back to the pcm and ripped from the harness plug. Really the engine swap could take a weekend but I'm going to relocate the fuse box and pcm, cleaning up the engine bay and concentrating the focus on the teksid gem.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:02 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

for me, it's the pleasure of not having so much to go wrong with the engine and to dress it up more. That being said, there will be no a/c, egr system, pcv system, imrc's, and all unnecessary wires will be chased back to the pcm and ripped from the harness plug. Really the engine swap could take a weekend but I'm going to relocate the fuse box and pcm, cleaning up the engine bay and concentrating the focus on the teksid gem.
Thats pretty cool, i like the idea of the swap, im guessing the prochargers going on?

where-about is edgewood? I'm in MD myself.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:04 PM
NuclearMuscle523

The procharger is for sale to cover the cost of the swap. And yes I live in edgewood but I'm always all over the place.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:42 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Yea, I'm using a gt500 computer and harness too, because it is probably the easiest way to get the whole system to work with cops and whatnot. Is there another name for that thermostat housing? I can't find it for sale anywhere.
I'm not 100% sure on this but for some reason I'm thinking a gt500 ecu and harness will not work and if it did sensors/connector styles are probably gonna cause you a large amount of headache. The 03/04 cobra harness would be a better match or a modified 96-98 cobra harness. The factory tune on the gt500 ecu is going to be way off, and either way you go you will need a tune.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:04 AM
NuclearMuscle523

Well it's more of an internal debate about balance to me. Like would I rather have issues with some connectors not matching up, or issues with the huge plugs on the pcm not matching up, as well as the body harness that the engine harness mates to. Now to think about it, there aren't too many sensors to worry about. All of the injectors are gt500, so they match up. Hoping that the cops match up, but they are two wires each, so that can be fixed easy. The fan plugs match up. I'm not using a/c, or egr, or imrcs, or pcv, so I don't have to worry about that junk. Really I only need like coolant temp sensors, maf will be gt500 or other if I can get away with it, O2's should match up, they are green and four pin and look similar. I will have everything deleted in a tune, and manipulated to make the car run right. What does the iac even do?