MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   Port work? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/618903-port-work.html)

00infernoGT 10-02-2010 02:48 PM

Port work?

about to take off my TrickFlow upper plenum and do some port work, not for size but the factory castings are horrible and its super rough in there, would it be beneficial? orwaste of time?

TheBlackMustang02 10-02-2010 11:05 PM

Don't know but good question. Wouldn't mind doing that with my C&L upper plenum. As you said, it is not very smooth.

Z28KLR 10-03-2010 12:11 AM

In theory I'm sure it would be beneficial to a point, but in reality is probably a waste of time. The real airflow restriction lies in the heads. But if you've got nothing else to do with your Sunday afternoon then I say go for it.

Bmitchell373 10-03-2010 08:36 AM

If your going to do it yourself, and know the "proper" way, go for it. Any time you can smooth out where air/fuel flow will be, you get less turbulence so the air will flow more and better. I ported the head and intake on my 2.3l Ranger. I went from 98whp to 138whp (yes those were Dyno Jet numbers), after porting, electric fan, and removed the seized a/c compressor. No tune tho, the texture inside the ranger intake was horrible, and the ports on the head were tiny.

MU71L4710N 10-03-2010 09:25 AM

actually smoothing it may decrease your airflow. cliff posted something on a guys thread who wanted to port his trickflow heads. they are designed to be a little rough to create the 'golf ball effect'. a rough surface actually allows air to flow over it quicker, i can't explain the details nearly as well as him but its something to the effect of the dimples actually create small air pockets, and air moving over air creates less friction than sliding over a smoothe surface.

i wouldnt bother unless there are some huge barbs or defects in the casting. porting it, especially on a non FI car, wouldnt yield benefits and may even decrease hp. you only get like 3hp from a new tb and plenum over the stocker, so how much benefit could there POSSIBLY be? none.

edit: btw inferno, i like how you detailed your car for the picture, but left the rags laying all over it.

00infernoGT 10-03-2010 10:24 AM

thanks, and ya i tend to do that, i live on a gravel road so detailing my car is a daily occurence

Bmitchell373 10-03-2010 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by MU71L4710N (Post 7226849)
actually smoothing it may decrease your airflow. cliff posted something on a guys thread who wanted to port his trickflow heads. they are designed to be a little rough to create the 'golf ball effect'. a rough surface actually allows air to flow over it quicker, i can't explain the details nearly as well as him but its something to the effect of the dimples actually create small air pockets, and air moving over air creates less friction than sliding over a smoothe surface.

i wouldnt bother unless there are some huge barbs or defects in the casting. porting it, especially on a non FI car, wouldnt yield benefits and may even decrease hp. you only get like 3hp from a new tb and plenum over the stocker, so how much benefit could there POSSIBLY be? none.

edit: btw inferno, i like how you detailed your car for the picture, but left the rags laying all over it.

That is true, smoothed out but not polished. Anywhere there will be fuel running threw it you want a rough-er surface. When I did mine, after enlarging the ports/intake to my liking with the carbide burs, In most "do it yourself" porting kits there are 2 different grits of sandpaper rolls for the grinder. I used the rough for where there will be fuel and the smooth where only air will be.

vanbibber 10-04-2010 02:06 PM

you won't see any noticeable gains

mustangmancp 10-04-2010 02:48 PM

Yea i mean i don't think you'll get enough out of it to make it worth the work...thats jst my opinion.

Get that nitrous already...jeeze lol

sv650lex 10-04-2010 07:09 PM

I say do it. also smooth out the throttle body but not were the blade touches the side. When you pull it all apart you can see were your gaskets were. Smooth out that transition(aka gasket matching).

If your willing to spend $250 on a throttle body and intake for 3 hp, why wouldn't you want to do something for free for a couple more hp.