Cylinder Missfire - Page 2 - MustangForums.com

Notices
4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Cylinder Missfire

Old 08-16-2005, 07:59 PM
Derf00
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Cylinder Missfire

ORIGINAL: Jglisson

ORIGINAL: 04BlueGT

Okay, here we go....

One, they do not have 'spark plug' wires in a traditional sense, but they have wires none the less. As such, they are subject to degradation by under-hood heat, which leads into one of your hypotheses. Never seen 16g wire "degradate" by heat...but if you insist.

Two, the crankshaft position sensor WILL cause misfires, but those misfires will remain on that cylinder. AND, it can happen at sustained rpms ABOVE 2400. I never argued that a CPS would cause a misfire, reread my first reply.[/b]

Three, we didn't add the bit about injectors, but since a previous post addressed it, why reiterate it?

Four, my first (of many) mustang was built before most folks on the forum were born, so save me the recriminations. Congrats...[/b]

Five - Not one person claimed to be an expert here. We are all here to offer ideas and opinions to assist others, based mostly from personal experiences. AND not one person made suggestions which would cause him to suffer engine damage or incur further expense. To wit, I asked for a list of modifications and which ones, if any, may have been performed recently.
Yea...but so typical of most posts lately (not yours by any means), are flooded with random ideas that make no sense and have no merit. The replies on this board are usually just down right ignorant.

How many posts do we have to have about gears? Over and over again with the same stuipd replies? How many questions do we have to have about PI intakes with the same freaking answers?

And such wonderful responses! I will tell you what, according to the majority...O2 sensors and a bottle of fuel system cleaner will solve anything.
And who are you?

The WIRES I was referring to are the actual thin wires that go to the coil pack themselves, it's a NO DUH that the car doesn't have traditional spark plug wires because of the coil-packs but the physical low voltage wire (14ga or 16ga) that goes to the coil could be bad. Rubbing against the harness or a hot point on the engine, pinched, or just plain not insulated right.

Fuel system cleaner is recommended as a starting point because it's so simple and cheap. If you'd READ the posts instead of jumping in with insults you'd see that. 02 sensors...don't know where that came from, not me and not something I would even suggest looking at.

That and for someone complaining about the same topics over and over again... https://mustangforums.com/m_657277/m.../tm.htm#657393
Why not a NOS brand kit? Not trying to start an argument on that topic but you should look at your own posts before spouting off.

If the guy is asking, give him an explanation. That's why this board gets so clogged with misinformation and the same questions over and over again.
Instead of just jumping off the deep end, jump off the board if all you have is criticism.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:25 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Guys, save the bickering for PM.

As for JGlisson, look at the tech threads I have been pinning to the top. I'm going to be pinning all of the common topics. I'm already linking people to the threads, soon enough I hope people will get the picture and I'll be able to lock repeat threads...
Old 08-16-2005, 08:37 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Derf00

The WIRES I was referring to are the actual thin wires that go to the coil pack themselves, it's a NO DUH that the car doesn't have traditional spark plug wires because of the coil-packs but the physical low voltage wire (14ga or 16ga) that goes to the coil could be bad. Rubbing against the harness or a hot point on the engine, pinched, or just plain not insulated right.

This is very possible. I have one right now thats showing bare wire. But as soon as I seen it I fixed it so it didnt get a chance to ground.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:45 PM
Derf00
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

Guys, save the bickering for PM.

As for JGlisson, look at the tech threads I have been pinning to the top. I'm going to be pinning all of the common topics. I'm already linking people to the threads, soon enough I hope people will get the picture and I'll be able to lock repeat threads...
Sweeeett! That will be nice!

As for PM and bickering, if he's going to make a blanket flipant comment in public, he deserves a public flogging, I'm not going to run to PM and make it personal when it's not.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:01 AM
Jglisson
3rd Gear Member

Public Flogging? Is that what you call it? How long hard did your measly brain work to come up with that reply?

So sorry you took such offense, as I wasn't replying to you individually anyways. It took a lot of effort to dig around and find some old nitrous posts. I must have got under your skin, ehh? Quite possibly I am talking to misinformation himself?

Concerning your coil wire rubbing theory...if you have moving wires running to your coils, you got more problems then you bargained for. Go purchase a harness. With some of the other comments I have seen on the board, the "wires" comment doesn't suprise me.

And...my name is Jeremiah, if it matters.

I never quoted or replied to you, so quit your crying, go read a book, and have your mother tuck you into bed. I understand why you took offense...quite frankly because the shoe fits.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:20 AM
Jglisson
3rd Gear Member

Mr Moderator...

Many members appreciate the stickys you've begun to implement...

Maybe if more people...

LOL .... I digress.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:42 AM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: Jglisson

Mr Moderator...

Many members appreciate the stickys you've begun to implement...

Maybe if more people...

LOL .... I digress.
We know that there are alot of repeat threads on mufflers, gears and lowering springs. I'll tell you what......If there is a thread that you think is a repeat or it doesn't interest you OR if you don't have any real information or help to offer please PASS ON BY!!!!!!! Stop reading and don't bother to comment on it.

Try to understand that some people don't know about the search feature or sometimes they just want some reassurance that they have interpreted the information correctly for their own application. Some people are not that knowledgeable about cars and have some basic questions. Some just feel the need to throw in their 2 cents, even if they have no clue what they are talking about *cough*.

Thankfully our friend Dan04cobra is in the process of pinning all the FAQs to the top of the section. Thanks Dan.

Maybe some of you guys could help him out and do a write up for something common that YOU happen to know about.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:51 AM
Jglisson
3rd Gear Member

Some just feel the need to throw in their 2 cents, even if they have no clue what they are talking about *cough*.

That couldn't be said any better...

no clue is right...

In general, we have a viscious cycle here: ignorant questions about common subjects yield ignorant responses which brings more ignorant questions.