MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   Car died after self car wash (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/619402-car-died-after-self-car-wash.html)

5pointslow91 10-07-2010 03:23 AM

Car died after self car wash

took my car to the self car wash, it was running fine before then. after the wash i go to turn it on and it idles real bad and sounds like it has a cam. and it keeps dying out, so i give it gas and keep it alive and the idling is then fine at 1k but the exhaust it making popping noises and the exhaust smells gassy. after about a few mins of idling i turn it off. when i turn it back on again it wont start at all. it just keeps reving and mb after of 10 seconds of turning the ignition it starts to rumble like its trying to start but doesnt get enough to start. the car has an in the wheel well CAI so i disconnect that and try it with out it but stil the same.

did water get into the filter and then sucked into the engine once i turned the car on again?

car wash wasnt far so i just had a friend help me push the car with his car, so now its in my driveway. this happened at 6:30pm and i tried it again at 315am and still nothing. does it hav to dry out more? what happened?

its a 2004 gt, stick

uberstang1 10-07-2010 05:21 AM

You have water buildup in ur sparkplug wells with you're COPS causing a miss. Remove the cops blow out the water and let it dry out and see if it goes away. Its rare but its possible one of the COPS could of been shorted and permanently damaged.

5pointslow91 10-07-2010 05:23 AM

cops?

uberstang1 10-07-2010 05:26 AM

Cop stands for Coil Over Plugs, you're coils. Each sparkplug has its own individual coil pack.

uberstang1 10-07-2010 05:30 AM

Theres one bolt that holds them down, 8mm I believe. Take the bolt out and the COP simple pulls off.

devongarver 10-07-2010 07:35 AM

Read my sticky in my sig.....

CobraFrenzy 10-07-2010 08:50 PM

the same thing has happened to me before...but i was just to lazy to dry it out and it went away after a few days of using the car

MU71L4710N 10-07-2010 09:10 PM

1) it would literally take you sticking your air intake into a bucket of water to suck up any significant amount of water, so don't worry about that.

2) very possible you got water in your plug wells and are shorting out a cop or 2 or 3. this has happened to my car in heavy rain - rain dripped down through the holes in the hood that the hood scoop is bolted to. blow them out with compressed air like said.

3) another possibility especially if you have a CAI is you could have gotten water on the filter, and once you started the car you could have sucked some moisture onto your MAF. when this happens your maf "reads temperatures" that are WAY wrong, and your car adjusts fuel levels for something that doesnt exist. this happened to me in a bad storm one time when i drove through a deep puddle and my car wouldnt even hold idle and had almost no power. the solution for this is taking your air filter and maf off, and let them dry in the sun for a few hours.

cliffyk 10-07-2010 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by CobraFrenzy (Post 7234605)
the same thing has happened to me before...but i was just to lazy to dry it out and it went away after a few days of using the car

That's a great way to destroy the COPs and/or driver circuits in the PCM--you are lucky you got lucky..

natedog 10-07-2010 10:19 PM

As stated above, read the sticky!!! Looks like you may have to replace the COPs