4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

TODAY IS MY B'DAY SO HELP ME OUT

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 10:56 PM
HARD DRIVER

Default TODAY IS MY B'DAY SO HELP ME OUT

ALRIGHT LADIES AND GENTS, I been lurking here for about two weeks and I purchased a 02 red gt with 32xxx miles on it. I used to own two 5.0 foxbodies, I also have a 1992 vr4 with 395hp at the crank and 300 or so at the wheels. Let me get my facts straight. The "new edge" lol mustangs have 260 fwhp, so how much is at the wheels. I wanted about 300 at the wheels like my vr4, but several posts down, everybody said it would take heads,cam, and basically ALOT of money. I want the New Edge Master (that **** cracks me up bc im an old fox owner and I saw (i think it was) 02gt and redassgt arguing with the 5.0 boys) to help me out for my birthday and give me some good solid inexpensive and reliable way to get the horses (I just got dual-chambered flowmasters). I know, I know, I searched but I wanted soemone to tell me directly, so forgive me (its my birthday[8D]). Also, tell me about how the gears feel when u change them (shift points and rpms) so I can get an idea if I want them or not (I drive 90 miles round trip daily). I neede some newbie advice and I have been waiting for a good time to post, well, it's as good a time as any, and I appreciate the inputs in advance.

HARD DRIVER
P.S. Some of you may be wondering why I don't keep the vr4. Well, I'm a driver, and the vr4 is a mechanic/tuners car. the alternator went out and it was 300 bucks (labor is about 300 as well) for an alternator, and i am tired (i have put about 10k into car it has rebuilt engine and performance parts all around, I wanted something which I think being N/A, will be more reliable, and I won't have to watch so many f'ing gauges lol.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:31 PM
firemedix911
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: TODAY IS MY B'DAY SO HELP ME OUT

Ok you 02 GT should be about 225 @ the wheels. It varies though. I'm afraid there is no inexpensive way of getting to the Hp you wnat. I can tell you of a reliable way of getting more than that but it'll be a bit expensive. 100 shot of NO2. It'll run you @ about 700$. Now if you want the power always there the othe reliable way to go is supercharge tha M@@#$## f@#@#@#%! The gears I'd get some 3:73's wich is what I got. Ery body will tell you tha the difference in the rpm between those and 4:10's is omly 150 rpm's but for the amount of traveling you do I"ll go with the 3:73. If you got stock gears you'll feel like you just got a Shi@#$$% lot of HP from stock. You didn't though. It just feels like it.
Welcome to the forum and enjoy your stang.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:57 PM
HARD DRIVER

thanks man, i was wondering if anyone cared, lol. Well, I wanna stick to N/A, (after the twin-turbo car, I want to be simple). so I will get some gears for sure. could ya give me your rpms in 5th at 80 mph, firemedix, it would be great. I have just started the journey, and all my vr4 buds are like "a dis-gust-ang?" I'm like "yep, back to my roots, importers!" Oh well, I bet I don't spin a bearing lol.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:43 AM
firemedix911
2nd Gear Member

somebody posted the exact rpms range from 60 to 90mph I think for both 4:10's and 3:73's. If I tell you now I'd be lying.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:13 AM
justingt
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: firemedix911

Ok you 02 GT should be about 225 @ the wheels. It varies though. I'm afraid there is no inexpensive way of getting to the Hp you wnat. I can tell you of a reliable way of getting more than that but it'll be a bit expensive. 100 shot of NO2. It'll run you @ about 700$. Now if you want the power always there the othe reliable way to go is supercharge tha M@@#$## f@#@#@#%! The gears I'd get some 3:73's wich is what I got. Ery body will tell you tha the difference in the rpm between those and 4:10's is omly 150 rpm's but for the amount of traveling you do I"ll go with the 3:73. If you got stock gears you'll feel like you just got a Shi@#$$% lot of HP from stock. You didn't though. It just feels like it.
noooo you'll get more torque which = faster acceleration horsepower is for your top end

anyways HARD DRIVER I dont know how stock your car is but start out simple. Get the following:
CAI (k&n is ok but for looks go with steeda) $295.00
Gears (get 3.73...doesnt really matter by who but i hear ford racing is good) $169
exhaust (SLP is the cheapest around and gives you a great sound and flow) $440
o/r or catted midpipe (get an h midpipe for more agressive noise and x midpipe for more high pitched...go with free flow cats if you need cats for emmisions) around 150
underdrive pullies (preferabely steeda...stay away from piggyback style) $199

if you add shipping to all that it's a little over a grand
you'll also need a tuner (SCT or Diablosport)

maybe if you're willin to dig deeper som long tube headers and GT-40 heads should bring you mighty close if not over 300 hp at the rear wheels and defenitely over 300 lbs./foot of torque (which again is how fast you accelerate).
Old 08-16-2005, 02:16 AM
02StanGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HARD DRIVER

thanks man, i was wondering if anyone cared, lol. Well, I wanna stick to N/A, (after the twin-turbo car, I want to be simple). so I will get some gears for sure. could ya give me your rpms in 5th at 80 mph, firemedix, it would be great. I have just started the journey, and all my vr4 buds are like "a dis-gust-ang?" I'm like "yep, back to my roots, importers!" Oh well, I bet I don't spin a bearing lol.
That **** aint funny!
Old 08-16-2005, 02:21 AM
justingt
3rd Gear Member

EDIT: DELETED
Old 08-16-2005, 02:21 AM
02StanGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: justingt
noooo you'll get more torque which = faster acceleration horsepower is for your top end
maybe if you're willin to dig deeper som long tube headers and GT-40 heads should bring you mighty close if not over 300 hp at the rear wheels and defenitely over 300 lbs./foot of torque (which again is how fast you accelerate).
When the hell did they start making GT40 heads for 2002 GT's?
Old 08-16-2005, 02:27 AM
justingt
3rd Gear Member

frig i just noticed that lol dammit why the hell dont they! o well sorry but there are other options for heads sorry again
Old 08-16-2005, 04:00 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: justingt

ORIGINAL: firemedix911

anyways HARD DRIVER I dont know how stock your car is but start out simple. Get the following:
CAI (k&n is ok but for looks go with steeda) $295.00
Gears (get 3.73...doesnt really matter by who but i hear ford racing is good) $169
exhaust (SLP is the cheapest around and gives you a great sound and flow) $440
o/r or catted midpipe (get an h midpipe for more agressive noise and x midpipe for more high pitched...go with free flow cats if you need cats for emmisions) around 150
underdrive pullies (preferabely steeda...stay away from piggyback style) $199

if you add shipping to all that it's a little over a grand
you'll also need a tuner (SCT or Diablosport)

Good info. Ur gonna need tb plenum, cams and dyno tune + all that other stuff,then youll be over 300. Good luck. Start with gears.

Quick Reply: TODAY IS MY B'DAY SO HELP ME OUT