4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Bent Valve! Need Opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 03:47 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
he put in CMS stage 2's....
Did he upgrade the springs? PTVC would be the first thing checked after seeing a bent valve unless they are complete idiots. That being said, exhaust side is not where even competitors say those cams have issues.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:57 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

O ok, was just wondering....
Old 10-14-2010, 04:20 PM
medrick
2nd Gear Member

Yup it is CMS stage 2's and it was cylinder 6 that had no compression and wouldn't close. When they pulled the head I saw where the valve had hit the piston but none of the other ones had hit... Makes me think they bent it when they were pulling the old springs or installing the new valvesprings (comp hi lift springs)
Old 10-14-2010, 04:26 PM
medrick
2nd Gear Member

I had the car towed to my house today from the shop (havnt paid for anything after the initial payment i made for the cam install, he said we will square up next week sometime but I havnt told him im upset yet) and Im having a tuner write me a base tune to get it running right and he said he will be able to tell if they are degreed in properly by the fuel trims so Ill be able to tell if they need to fix anything else.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:30 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by medrick
Yup it is CMS stage 2's and it was cylinder 6 that had no compression and wouldn't close. When they pulled the head I saw where the valve had hit the piston but none of the other ones had hit... Makes me think they bent it when they were pulling the old springs or installing the new valvesprings (comp hi lift springs)
It's also possible that you had a slightly bent/warped valve all along, but it wasn't close enough to the pistons with the stock lift/duration to make contact with a piston.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:57 PM
medrick
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tbirdscwd
It's also possible that you had a slightly bent/warped valve all along, but it wasn't close enough to the pistons with the stock lift/duration to make contact with a piston.
hmm...thats what the shop was telling me was a possibility too.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:11 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by medrick
hmm...thats what the shop was telling me was a possibility too.
Much more likely than they just happened to bend a valve while doing a spring swap. Maybe someone that has done a few spring swaps on these heads can chime in, but I don't see how they would have bent one doing a simple spring swap.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:16 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

They should fix the whole thing for free. You already paid them to install your cams. And then suddenly after they do that you have a bent valve? They shouldn't give you a "deal" on fixing it, they should fix it on them. Where I work, when we break something, we fix it.

If they won't, threaten to call the BBB, or bad mouth them. Performance shops especially need to keep a good reputation, and a bad word spreads pretty quickly. Nobody wants to spend money on some place to install expensive aftermarket parts if they heard something bad about it.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:12 PM
MadisonGT

Originally Posted by Xemeth
They should fix the whole thing for free. You already paid them to install your cams. And then suddenly after they do that you have a bent valve? They shouldn't give you a "deal" on fixing it, they should fix it on them. Where I work, when we break something, we fix it.

If they won't, threaten to call the BBB, or bad mouth them. Performance shops especially need to keep a good reputation, and a bad word spreads pretty quickly. Nobody wants to spend money on some place to install expensive aftermarket parts if they heard something bad about it.
Exactly.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:02 PM
gang

what i dont understand is when the did the valve springs they should have reground the valves and valve seats. because if you did have a bent valve all along then thats how they would have caught it.

Quick Reply: Bent Valve! Need Opinions.