4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Pulled K Member now has clunking in trans, WTF???????

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 09:16 PM
rockarmymedic

Angry Pulled K Member now has clunking in trans, WTF???????

Ive got a 96 GT that I pulled the K member from to put in a set of shorty headers. Ive got it all put back in a torqued and now when I crank it and let it run their is a clunking in the trans that stops when I puch in the clutch. Also when I start the car it feels like the starter is having to turn over the motor and trans even though its in neutral with the clutch pushed in. Im wondering if Ive got something misaligned in between the trans and engine. I did not seperate then i just put a jack and block of wood under the front of the pan. Anybody got any ideas??????
Old 10-19-2010, 03:42 AM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

I would check your tranny mount considering you jacked up the engine which basically pivoted on that mount, its a 96 so its worth checking I have an 02 and I had to replace mine.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:30 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

How loud is this clunk?? As previous stated the first thing to check is the trans mount. The 96 gt has a strange shapped trans mount which is only available from the dealer, andywhere else you try to get it theyll give u a trans mount that looks like a traditional mount but yours will have an off center L bracket on the top that attaches to the tranny. My mount actually cracked right off and had to get one from the dealer. I would also check to make sure you didn't pinch the clutch cable anywhere. A light clunk noise can actually be the small dust shield which covers the clutch fork, its only help on by one 8mm or 10mm bolt and the other side slides into a grove and easy pops out when tampered with, it could be flapping around causing a hollow metal noise.

Last edited by uberstang1; 10-19-2010 at 05:32 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:40 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Heres pictures of the two mounts, the first picture of it being held is the mount you need, its only available from ford and there isn't a company that makes a poly version. The second picture is a traditional style mount which is what every autoparts store will try to sell you, it does NOT work. The design of the mount from ford indicates an obvious mistake they make in the drivetrain mounting points in the 96-98 2v gt, which problem explains why the tailshaft and mount is different for the cobra version of the t45. Due to the design of that L shapped mount its obvious a weak pount and that bracket will crack with age.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:43 PM
rockarmymedic

Thank you for all your ideas. Im gonna go out and check them as soon as I get home. As far as the sound it is a deep solid but quite clunk. There is no cover over the clutch rod and I will also check to see if maybe I have the cable to tight and the T/O bearing might be ridiing on the PP. Any ideas on the starter part?
Old 10-20-2010, 05:43 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I don't quite understand what you are trying to say about the starter. Even with the clutch depressed the starter is still turning the motor over because it spins the flywheel. As far as "it feels like its turning the motor and trans" I don't quite understand what you mean by that because you need to depress the clutch to start the car anyway, and even if you didn't I don't think it would feel any different.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:43 PM
rockarmymedic

By the way i word it it seems like regardless of me pushing in the clutch it feels as if the starter is having to turn over the engine, and transmission. It just has a real heavy, straining sound but not like its going bad. Im going to put it up in the air this weekend and look under it again and check the mounts plus the starter along with the clutch cable tension and movement.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:54 PM
SilvrStang
6th Gear Member

As simple as it sounds man. There is a brace that goes from one side of the k member to the other. I would check and make sure those bolts are ***** tight. Mine did the exactly the same thing when I was doing my tranny swap. Its a black piece about 3 ft long that gives stability to the k member.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:30 PM
masterofthepuppets99
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rockarmymedic
By the way i word it it seems like regardless of me pushing in the clutch it feels as if the starter is having to turn over the engine, and transmission. It just has a real heavy, straining sound but not like its going bad. Im going to put it up in the air this weekend and look under it again and check the mounts plus the starter along with the clutch cable tension and movement.
perhaps your starter is not aligned properly... im not sure how that can happen with the way the starter attaches to the bellhousing but in old school chevys alot of them had to be shimmed for proper alignment or they would moan when activated.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:37 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SilvrStang
As simple as it sounds man. There is a brace that goes from one side of the k member to the other. I would check and make sure those bolts are ***** tight. Mine did the exactly the same thing when I was doing my tranny swap. Its a black piece about 3 ft long that gives stability to the k member.
+1....

Quick Reply: Pulled K Member now has clunking in trans, WTF???????