4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Blowing out antifreeze?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 09:34 PM
blowngt2889

Default Blowing out antifreeze?

I have a 04 supercharged gt @10 pnds. It does not happen all the time but if i really beat on it slammin gears by the time i hit 4th it blows antifreeze EVERWHERE out of the coolant reservior. I did change the intake manifold due to a cracked one and was thinking perhaps a intake gasket? it has no water in the oil and does not blow any white smoke. It only does this if i really beat on it for a long period of time. I can redline as many times as i want it it does it once in a while. can a bad thermostat cause this? (im thinking in a positive way) =)
Old 10-21-2010, 05:31 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Well for one, is it overheating when this happens? If its not overheating and the intake manifold/gasket isn't leaking I don't see how that can be the problem. Honestly the first thing I would try is replacing the cap on the resovoir, once they blow through they need to be replaced for the most part. The only way fluid come out of that resoivor is if it exceeds the max PSI of the cap, and when that happens its usually do from overheating and expansion. Here are two things to look at first as well. 1. Are you overfilling the expansion tank? 2. Is the coolant system burped properly because a large enough air pocket will cause this problem for you too.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:25 PM
blowngt2889

Thanks for your response. It has never overheated. I filled the coolant to the fill line. How do i "burp" the coolant system properly?
Old 10-21-2010, 08:49 PM
SilvrStang
6th Gear Member

I would def get all the air out of the system. Have you replaced your cap? Those things go out after several thousands miles.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:55 AM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Well for one, is it overheating when this happens? If its not overheating and the intake manifold/gasket isn't leaking I don't see how that can be the problem. Honestly the first thing I would try is replacing the cap on the resovoir, once they blow through they need to be replaced for the most part. The only way fluid come out of that resoivor is if it exceeds the max PSI of the cap, and when that happens its usually do from overheating and expansion. Here are two things to look at first as well. 1. Are you overfilling the expansion tank? 2. Is the coolant system burped properly because a large enough air pocket will cause this problem for you too.
I've never heard of this. I ripped a heater hose after a redline and couldn't fugire out why; I just replaced it.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:08 AM
01MGGT
4th Gear Member

To burp it I would jack up the front end so radiator is slightly higher then engine. Run to normal temp with cap off of the tank and as the air pushes out the coolant level will drop. Keep slowly adding coolant till it maintains the proper level.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:27 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

To burp the coolant I would just run the car without the cap for awhile and keep adding fluid as the level drops, on the 4v there is an air bleed on the coolant crossover to burp it but I dont think there is anything on the 2v.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:36 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nascrchi
I've never heard of this. I ripped a heater hose after a redline and couldn't fugire out why; I just replaced it.
lol i just did that a few weeks ago when i was smoking my tires off and coolant blew everywhere lol looked under the hood, it was the heater core hose. they have some crazy bends in them and after a while they just get beat
Old 10-22-2010, 08:49 PM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kugzgt
lol i just did that a few weeks ago when i was smoking my tires off and coolant blew everywhere lol looked under the hood, it was the heater core hose. they have some crazy bends in them and after a while they just get beat
haha I thought it was the manifold at first. I couldn't really see because it was night time. But make sure you wash your engine bay because antifreeze causes corrosion.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:20 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

thats already done my fine sir

Quick Reply: Blowing out antifreeze?