MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   anyone have a stock ported plenum? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/621538-anyone-have-a-stock-ported-plenum.html)

ctgreddy 10-26-2010 09:36 PM

anyone have a stock ported plenum?

I'd like to keep my engine looking completely stock, just wondered if it would be worth it to try and open up my stock plenum some? i have a good selection of porting tools and have cleaned up a few intake runners but never anything with a sharp curve like the plenum, not sure if i could do it effectively. or does anyone have a ported one they'd like to sell? ;). thanks in advance people. :)

a_penquin 10-26-2010 09:43 PM

snag one out of a salvage yard and go to town on it.

cliffyk 10-27-2010 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by ctgreddy (Post 7262253)
I'd like to keep my engine looking completely stock, just wondered if it would be worth it to try and open up my stock plenum some? i have a good selection of porting tools and have cleaned up a few intake runners but never anything with a sharp curve like the plenum, not sure if i could do it effectively. or does anyone have a ported one they'd like to sell? ;). thanks in advance people. :)

It won't gain much of anything, as there really isn't enough "meat" in the OEM casting to allow any significant alteration. The after market plenums are all 3/4" to 7/8" taller than the stock unit to accommodate a larger and more sweeping elbow.

There's a fellow on eBay that's been selling ported OEM plenums for a few years now. Seems to move them one at a time...

If you insist, this may be the one situation in which I would recommend a plenum spacer--check eBay for these too.

ctgreddy 10-27-2010 06:06 AM

I plan on getting a plenum spacer and putting my nozzle into that, for more of the sneakyness.

PurpleIcedGT 10-27-2010 07:22 AM

LOL greddy.....this thread reminds me of something...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lYBV...eature=related

kugzgt 10-27-2010 07:43 AM

^ lol

stangalator 10-27-2010 09:48 AM

I cleaned the outside of mine up a little using a wire brush. When I did I tried to get rid of some of the casting edges in it a little. I doubt there was any real reduction in turbulent flow though... As its been said a spacer would help, and maybe the ported plenum that guy on ebay sells.

98redstang 10-27-2010 10:40 AM

Mines ported somewhat. Just took the sharp edges and the castings inside off. I dont think it really does much of anything though to be honest haha. I was just bored.

MU71L4710N 10-27-2010 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by ebay (Post 7262798)
Independent Dyno Testing On a customers 02 GT with my P&P plenum and Ford Racing 70MM TB, gains of 23HP & 21ft-lbs torque over stock were recorded. Exact dyno numbers with the Ford Racing 70MM are: **STOCK: HP 249.68 TORQUE 294.22. Addition of my ported & polished plenum &TB: HP 272.53 TORQUE 315.46. With the P&P 75MM TB Potential gains are higher depending on modifications. With the exception of a inexpensive CAI system and high flow exhaust, less headers, this car was stock. I have the dyno results and will be happy to email a copy upon request.

In other independent dyno comparison testing my plenums produced more HP & torque than Accufab. These tests were performed by a Customer on a 1998 GT with PI heads & manifold. Two different stock out of the box 75MM TB's (Accufab & Dragon) were used during the testing with my P&P plenum and a stock out of the box Accufab Plenum. Regardless of what combination of TB/Plenum was dynoed, my plenum consistently outperformed the Accufab by an average of 1.46 rear wheel HP and 4.2 Ft-Lbs torque. Although the HP numbers are not astounding, it is a proven indicator that my plenums are competitive with the best aftermarket plenums currently on the market and exceed most torque gains.

this is enough to say this guy is a douche and i would never put one on my car. 23hp/21tq gained from a TB and plenum on an 02? yeah... 2hp and 4tq over accufab plenum? sure. i'm sure the dremel job this genius did in his garage is better than accufabs plenum.

ctgreddy 10-27-2010 05:55 PM

^^ yeah but the port work on it looks decent imo. i might go with that one, altho i will not be keeping that ugly ass 4.6 badge on the top. lol.