4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

manual steering rack

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 06:31 PM
grogan
3rd Gear Member

Default manual steering rack

ive searched everywhere and cant find one for a modular motor. everywhere i look says 99-04 Non modular block.

anyone know where i can get one?

ive gotten manual brakes, no egr, no a/c, no abs, no traction control, no cruise control, etc. and the only thing im missing is a manual rack and pinion.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:27 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Flaming River has standard and quick ratio manual racks...
Old 11-01-2010, 07:34 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

MM carries the flaming river racks

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st...roducts_id=455

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st...roducts_id=457
Old 11-01-2010, 08:39 PM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

are manuals more for drag racing or can they be used on autoX? sorry for hi jacking your thread OP
Old 11-01-2010, 08:50 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MineralGrey
are manuals more for drag racing or can they be used on autoX? sorry for hi jacking your thread OP
You could use them as a DD if you wanted to. I have manual steering in my SBC S10 and its a PITA to turn stopped, but once its rolling its a breeze. Just understand if you ever had an old pos that the power steering pump failed on, its the same thing.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:11 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by MineralGrey
If you have arms like Popeye...

A lot of the "gee I want manual steering" talk (other than drag racing) is IMHO old school thought, left over from when the p/s boxes on American cars were of the hyper-assist recirculating ball (RCB) type.

The RCB systems had absolutely no "road feel" feedback, and once you started sliding you had no idea where the wheels were pointed. When the Americans started using power assist rack and pinion systems things got a whole lot better, and again (IMHO), manual steering is a valid option for optimising weight reduction and/or improving control at very high speeds.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:44 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Manual steering is just as easy to turn as power steering once the car is rolling.

I'm using a pinto rack which is lighter then the ones posted above. That is an option for you if you don't already have a tubed K member since it has different mounting then the 99-04 but PA racing sells the K for it.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:47 PM
grogan
3rd Gear Member

yea im already running a upr products k and those other racks say for non mod motors.

and HOLY HELL that setup looks badass ox...it has now made its way to my desktop background
Old 11-02-2010, 02:00 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

I agree that once you are moving it becomes easier but if you are using it on a DD type of car and it is a Manual Trans it is a real pain in the *** when you are at a light/stop and you need to turn and your fighting the wheel and than you have to shift to second half way through the turn. IMO it just isn't worth it unless you go straight only
Old 11-02-2010, 04:44 PM
grogan
3rd Gear Member

all my car is is a 1/4 mile racer...it wont make it anywhere else. it breaks down for one reason or another every 15 minutes

Quick Reply: manual steering rack