4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Manual transmissions, T45, T5, 3650, T-56 ETC

Old 07-31-2006, 04:28 AM
eventer289
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Transmission Fluid

ORIGINAL: ShadowDrake

ORIGINAL: eventer289

I have a 2002 GT with the TR3650. I bought it in January of 2006. Is there anyway to find out if the 2nd gear synchro was "beefed" up under the warranty? It was bought from a used car dealer and I do not have any of the maintenance records so I do not know if this was done or not.
It's doubtful that it was done. I know mine isn't, and it's starting to get REAL weak... in normal driving it'll just grind, clutch is on the floor and I'm shifting from about 3200 RPM and it'll just grind instead of going in, like there's no synchronizer there at all... does this about 1/60 shifts from 1-2, but it's becoming more frequent, it's rather embarassing. 2-3 shift is real strong and I've grinded it all but once or twice, I seem to grind the 1-2 shift all the time though, even with the clutch to the floor and light driving.

If you're not having problems with it by this time, the TSB will not be an issue for you.
It shifts fine in the 2000 RPM range, but at 3000-3700 it kind of klunks (it feels very ratchety) into gear. If I shift after 4000 RPM is is smoother. I dont know if this has anything to do with my 4.10 gears, but it still did this with my stock gears.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:36 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

The 4.10s wouldn't effect it, so nothing to worry about there. Does it have the factory shifter? I know my Steeda Tri-ax is really notchy (and I like it). If you're hearing an actual clunk sound, that's just because the transmission is sloppy and noisy [&:] No, I don't like my 3650 [8D]

The 1-2 synchro does seem to be a little weak in general, if 2-3 goes in a lot easier at the RPM range that you're having a problem at for 1-2... then see if a dealership near you will take care of the TSB... try to do the shift in the same amount of time of course.

You may have difficulty finding a dealership to do it though... one of the ones near here seems to think TSBs are just heads-up for the dealership only and wondered how I got my hands on the information when I went to them with 3 TSB's I needed taken care of. They told me that they do not fix them for free, even if you are under warranty. So, if your luck is as bad as mine, you'll have a hard time finding a dealership to do it... You may just have to deal with it or rebuild it yourself.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:02 AM
eventer289
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ShadowDrake

The 4.10s wouldn't effect it, so nothing to worry about there. Does it have the factory shifter? I know my Steeda Tri-ax is really notchy (and I like it). If you're hearing an actual clunk sound, that's just because the transmission is sloppy and noisy [&:] No, I don't like my 3650 [8D]

The 1-2 synchro does seem to be a little weak in general, if 2-3 goes in a lot easier at the RPM range that you're having a problem at for 1-2... then see if a dealership near you will take care of the TSB... try to do the shift in the same amount of time of course.

You may have difficulty finding a dealership to do it though... one of the ones near here seems to think TSBs are just heads-up for the dealership only and wondered how I got my hands on the information when I went to them with 3 TSB's I needed taken care of. They told me that they do not fix them for free, even if you are under warranty. So, if your luck is as bad as mine, you'll have a hard time finding a dealership to do it... You may just have to deal with it or rebuild it yourself.
Yeah, I have a tri-ax. I heard you can take the car to a dealer and they can run an Oasis on the car to see if there are any open TSB's. My good friend's dad owns a Ford dealership, so hopefully I can get it taken care of pretty easily.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:39 PM
eventer289
3rd Gear Member

Do all the TR3650's have the synchro problem? The guy who installed my gears said that some do and some don't. I have about 52,000 miles on my car and I (knock on wood) haven't had any grinding problems. It actually seems to shift smoother at higher RMP than lower RPM.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:48 PM
kearse1515

Default RE: New Mustang Owner ? about Trans

hey guys i have a 99 gt im at about 100 k miles and i can tell my tranny is going to go soon! : (
problem is im tight on money right now im trying to save up because i kno there not cheap its auto it sucks because i didnt realize it till after the warranty was up i had a six month warranty didnt start acting up untill like a yr after i got it? but does any one know where i can get an outo trans for a 99 gt inexpensive??? they said at this one place i took it that it was a common part in all mustangs some spring or something so i had him look at it he said thats what it was then he showed me the broken spring it was only 400 to fix... but i doubt its the spring again! im really ticked it pisses me off my lo/d light started to flast to and that means there is tranny trouble : ) please help a mustang man out! i dont wanna lose my stang i love it to death!
Old 09-30-2007, 08:50 PM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: New Mustang Owner ? about Trans

I wrote this in a post a few months ago:

"
I know that some of you as well as myself have been looking for parts for the Tremec 3650. Most places you call like to sell you an entire "rebuild kit" which can range from $700 - well over a $1000 if bearings are included. Since most of us probably only need parts related to our 2nd gear abuse I found this place which I think will be very helpful.

Call Auto Gear, they are located in NY. 1-800-634-3001

http://www.autogear.net/

They have a "2nd gear fix" kit..

The kit includes:
1st & 2nd gear slider
1st & 2nd gear synchronizers/blocking rings
the actual 2nd speed gear

The price for the entire kit is a little less than $360 .. much cheaper than the $700 everyone else wants.

The difference is that with auto gear, you just get 1st and 2nd synchros, where everyone else wants to sell the entire synchronizer/bearing kit, a 2nd gear assembly, and a slider kit..

This 2nd gear fix kit basically includes the parts you need to fix your 3650 if it is grinding going into 2nd or jumping out of 2nd gear. Other problems will require other parts, but the 2nd gear grind is the most common problem with a 3650.

In my particular case.. the plastic piece on the end of each side of the 2nd gear shift fork some how got jarred off. The shift for was pushing against the 2nd gear slider with only one side putting it in a bind. This eventually caused severe wear on the synchronizer as well as the tiny teeth on 2nd gear itself.

here is a picture..sorry for the quality (took with a motorola razr)

There was also an article in this magazine about the 3650:

It says stuff like:

"The factory rates the 3650 at 360 lb. -ft of toruqe, which is extremely conservative. I race against mustangs which are easily putting out 500-600 lb ft of torque with no ill effects on the transmission. Present day america is ruled by lawyers and most of the factories tend to be very conservative on torque ratiings to prevent unnecessary litigation."

It goes on to say..

"On 2001-04 models of the 3650 the oil fill specs was 3.8 liters of dexron III ATF. The unit was validated using mobil one synthetic transmission fluid but was changed to dexronIII for a slightly lower viscosity and improved cold shifting performance. these units has a problem with a "nibble" on the 1-2 shift, After much study and research it was found that the oil level was too high in the uni. This caused windage problems with the excess lube causing the gears to over-synchronize. this is because when the gear train is submerged in too much oil the transmission fluid overheats and foams and affects the turning ratio of the gear train similar to your trying to run on the beach in 2 feet of water. The increased resistance to turning slows the gears prematurely and alters the synchronizer timing, causing shift problems. The oil level was reduced to 3 liters and the problem was resolved."

Some other facts I didn't know was that there are 10 different tremec 3650's [ul][*]T3650 being used in mustangs 2/2001- 9/2001 with a .68 5th ratio[*]T3650-2 in falcon barra- austraila[*]T3650-3 in mustang 9/2001-7/2002 which has .62 5th ratio[*]T3650-4 In mustangs 7/2002 - 6/2003[*]T3650-5 in toranado australia[*]T3650-6 MG rovers[*]T3650-7 Mustang Service ***'y[*]T3650-8 Mustang 2004 GT[*]T3650-9 2004 GT[*]T3650-10 Mustang 2004 GT service ***'y[*]T3650-1 S197 mustangs, the position of the shift rails was reversed and made into a mirror image, none of the internal or external shift linkage is the same[/ul]

SOOO .. the idea is to put only 3 liters not 3.8 of straight up cheapass automatic transmission fluid dexron III. This lets the syncrhonizers spin easier which cuts down the grind going into gears which will lead to longer life out of your transmission. Oiling WILL NOT be an issue by lowering the level of fluid. Both shafts are in fluid, the lower shaft being completely submerged. The lower shaft will also constantly sling fluid around inside the case oiling every gear all the time...

BUTT If its too late, don't buy an entire rebuild kit for $1000+ if you only need 2nd gear parts.. Call Auto Gear, and ask to speak to George. He will set you up right with all the parts you need to fix a 2nd gear grind for less than $360. The Transmissions are simple to work on, more so than a T5 or T45 so labor shouldn't be very much. Labor should not be over $200 and normally is around $100 in my area. (considering you take the transmission out yourself) This could add $100 or more to the cost (around $150 in my area to pull transmission) If you live in a bigger city, expect a much higher labor charge..

IF your transmission is so far gone that you are going to have to spend well oever a $1000 I would suggest looking into a TKO500. The removable bellhousing alone makes it dam near worth the price.

"

Old 06-29-2009, 12:24 PM
2000GTBoy
1st Gear Member

Default t45 to a t5

i would like to put in a t5 in my car for now while im waiting on parts for my transmission does anyone know what all i will have to do in order to make this work. I have the clutch for it but will the bell housing fit right. they are very close to the same length. and i really couldnt care less about if my speedo works. i know the shifters are the same.