4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

LT's

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 10:56 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

+1 you don't necessarily have to remove one or both headers for clutch. Macs are pretty wide and do allow tranny removal without removing the header. Bbks are more narrow and require removal.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:07 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

I run headman headers, took a day to do. Removed the motor mounts, and tilted the engine side to side. I also pulled the starter and linkage. Be careful pulling the old studs out of the heads/installing new hardware, I had to chase a couple of threads to make it work.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:25 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by oxfordgt
Most people make the install sound worse then it really is. I have installed them many times and it only take about 3 hours to do while on jack stands. About 2 and a half on a lift. Drop the K it will make it much easier and faster.
Well you should probably take into consideration that most people don't have the experience you have. First time when I dropped my K (had very little experience) it took the better part of the day due to not knowing exactly the best way to go about it. The next time was much faster. For someone who isn't experienced it is a big task IMO.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:41 AM
cisurfer
5th Gear Member

like oxford said ppl make it sound harder than it is...its like doing gears, very time consuming. I have done my headers multiple times due to exhaust leak and swapping out k members and switch for tubular...if you plan on going tubular nows the chance to do it. dropping the k member is bar far the easiest way to do it. Do yourself a favor and dont get the pypes long tubes, i have them and yeah they are great for the money they are not worth the hassle with the steering rack rubbing and what not, you do get what you pay for im afraid
Old 11-06-2010, 02:44 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
Well you should probably take into consideration that most people don't have the experience you have. First time when I dropped my K (had very little experience) it took the better part of the day due to not knowing exactly the best way to go about it. The next time was much faster. For someone who isn't experienced it is a big task IMO.
The first time I ever installed LT's on a 2v mustang it took me 6 hours. But only 3 of that was actually installing the LT's. The rest of the time was the tubed K, A arms, coilovers, full exhaust, and upper and lower control arms. They are not hard at all. I'd rather install LT's then change a clutch.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:24 AM
Bladerunner
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MU71L4710N
+1 you don't necessarily have to remove one or both headers for clutch. Macs are pretty wide and do allow tranny removal without removing the header. Bbks are more narrow and require removal.
Out of all the headers on the market BBK longtube headers have to be
one of the worst headers.I personally know three people that had
header leaks after installing BBK longtube headers.You definitley get what you
pay for.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:26 AM
grogan
3rd Gear Member

i run hooker headers and really like them.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:10 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by oxfordgt
The first time I ever installed LT's on a 2v mustang it took me 6 hours. But only 3 of that was actually installing the LT's. The rest of the time was the tubed K, A arms, coilovers, full exhaust, and upper and lower control arms. They are not hard at all. I'd rather install LT's then change a clutch.
Cool. So it took you 3 hours when you have a lot of experience working on cars. I think you're failing to realize not everyone has the same experience or knowledge as you when working on cars. I'm not saying it's super difficult but for someone who doesn't have much, if any experience, it can be a big task.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:03 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
There are headers out there that will allow you to drop the trans with the LTs still installed.

To the OP, the install will take a while. I found that dropping the K member was the easiest way and least frustrating way of installing LTs. What does this entail? Well dropping the whole front suspension. I just drop it about 6-8" and hold it up with jacks. Makes for a much easier re-installation.
+1 to the first part i dont have to take them off or loosen them at all to drop my trans. As for the second part to me it was a lot of work to drop the k memeber. If you have the right extensions and swivels its really not that hard to get in there. Its no walk in the park trust me but if you somewhat know what your doing and have the right tools its not a horrible job.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:34 PM
hole18n1
2nd Gear Member

Sry to ask but whats the k memeber? and in have acess to a lift so im assuming that'll make it tons easier?