4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

in need of 01 gt help, please

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 07:17 PM
mustang manac

finally finish. not too bad really had some head scratchers at points and i took my time making sure it was done right and looking and researching things so i know what they were and how they work(im really curious) all in all finished everything works great learned a lot and i still APPRECIATE!!!!!!!!! all the help, support and encouragement from you guys... woooo
Old 11-13-2010, 08:48 PM
FLMustangMan
2nd Gear Member

You don't have to drop the tank to change the gas filler neck seal. you can do it with the tank attatched. I did it in my driveway with only the sockets for the screws. You undo the bolt that holds the filler neck to the tank. Then in the trunk you pull back the carpet to get at the filler neck. Then undo the three bolts inside the fuel door to release the filler neck. Next you reach underneath behind the tire and twist the filler neck and lift and twist until you get it to slide out of the tank. Then you pop out the old seal. Replace with the new. Reinstall the reverse way but be very careful pushing the filler neck through the gasket seal because it likes to stick and pinch the neck to where you cant get it in. Eventually it will twist and go in. Just dont push to hard and rip the seal. And put the screws in and your done. I have done this so I know that it works. only took about an hour in the driveway and the gasket straight from the ford dealer was between $40-$60. Can't remeber exact price.

Hope this helps someone in the future so you dont have to pay alot or take loads of time.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:42 PM
mustang manac

not sure if your car set up is the same as my 01 gt because your signature says 96 gt but that doesnt seem easy. that gasket is a little difficult to take in and out, not to mention with tail pipes you wouldnt really be able to get at it.. but im not doubting you but for me i doubt i could of done it that way. not enough space for me.. but if you know what your doing you can drop the tank easy and quick. it was my first time so naturally took me longer

ps im thinking of writing it up in detail so anyone can do it and save money. opinions if i should??