4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

This is wierd.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 07:20 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

Default This is wierd.....

Well I was out running errands today. After a few stops I go to leave Walmart and the Stang wont start, came down with the classic starter click. I call for a tow and after an hour of sitting freezing my *** off they show up. The guy wanted to hear it himself after I told him the starter failed. Turned the key once, click, twice, click, third time she came to life. My baby apparently didnt want to be towed. Well I talked to the guy for a min, gave him the info for the insurance call and he commented it was the easiest tow hes done lol. My question is, WTF!!!! Im putting her up tomorrow to check the connections in case something wiggled loose. I may jolt the starter straight off the battery to since I had to do that when I put it in two years ago. Im just wondering if theres any chance it overheated from the trips since I have long tubes. It would make sense from the cool down time it had, but this is the first time ever doing it and the headers are heat wrapped. Well it may just be time for a new starter anyways, but Im done with the rant.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:24 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

sounds like a case of the stickin starters to me. you said you just put this one in 2yrs ago? was it aftermarket? Could just be something internal in the starter failing
Old 11-12-2010, 07:38 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Battery...

Run a high amperage (200A+) load test on it and it will likely run down to 10.0V or less during the test, or just replace it...
Old 11-12-2010, 07:54 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
sounds like a case of the stickin starters to me. you said you just put this one in 2yrs ago? was it aftermarket? Could just be something internal in the starter failing
OEM Bosh, Im assuming a short in the secondary windings, loose connection, or overheated from the headers.

Cliffy- I didnt even think about the battery, I checked the connections tight for a dummy check, but the battery is at 3 years right now. I'll check the volt gauge tomorrow to see if its normal and test it.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:18 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I'd bet $1.00 (and I am not a betting man) that it's the battery--I have seen this with several modern cars, including my '03 GT that did exactly what you describe on Saturday morning. I had gone trading and made 2 or 3 stops before going in to the local Ace Hardware for 10-15 minutes--came out and it was a no-start. I checked the battery voltage while trying to crank the engine and it was dropping off to <10V.

Nice thing about Ace is that they are locally owned and the manager's wife drove me to Advance Auto and back...
Old 11-13-2010, 06:00 AM
Crazycarnut
2nd Gear Member

+1 Every time I've had problems like you have discribed its been the battery. If you have had it for 3 years I would bet you had a 3 year warranty on the battery as well. Almost seems like the die the day after that thing runs out lol.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:52 AM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

Cliff your right again lol. I went to start troubleshooting today, watched the volt gauge as I turned the key and it was at 10v even before starting. Looks like I need a new battery.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:36 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

Well this is puzzling me now, I took the battery in to get tested, came back fine. Time to start checking connections.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:38 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

How did they test it?

When you measured the voltage did you measure it at the battery terminals--not the connectors, the actual terminal posts?
Old 11-13-2010, 04:47 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

I pulled the battery out of the car and they hooked the tester up straight to the battery.