4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Clutch Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 09:36 AM
hole18n1
2nd Gear Member

oh yeah i got one more question whats the difference between a 26 spindle by 1 1/8in and a 10 spindle by 1 1/16in?

And which one fits my car?
Old 11-16-2010, 12:07 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

It's the input shaft on the tranny. Only the termis come with 26 so if u didn't upgrade urs u got a ten spline.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:06 PM
nagata
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 98redstang
I use it to take the bellhousing bolts/the crossmember bolts basically whatever would usually take more time with just a ratchet or wrench. And a trick is to use it as a regular ratchet to break the bolt loose than just hit the trigger and buzz it out. Honestly i have no idea how much torque they have. I have 3. 1/2 inch 3/8ths and 1/4 inch. Im sure there all rated differently. I usually just use the 3/8ths and like i said break it loose than hit the trigger.
Ah, okay, I follow you now. I thought you were suggesting that the air ratchet was used to break the bolts loose, but rather, you're breaking the bolts loose and then using the air ratchet to back the bolts outso you don't have to spin them out by hand. Makes sense, should definitely save some time.

Originally Posted by MU71L4710N
It's the input shaft on the tranny. Only the termis come with 26 so if u didn't upgrade urs u got a ten spline.
I'm not sure that only the 03-04 Cobras have 26 spline input shafts. I've been told that the T-45 tranny that went into 96+ Cobras has a 26 spline input shaft. Regardless, for a Mustang GT with 2v 4.6L & stock transmission, it should be a 10 spline input shaft.

Not to thread jack, but I have one question that I don’t think warrants another thread: Should I expect to run into clearance issues because of my longtubes? The LTs were on the car when I bought it, and when I’ve been underneath it, I haven’t really looked at how they are situated in comparison to where the tranny/crossmember is. I’m hoping I won’t have problems…
Old 11-16-2010, 02:09 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Oh well not to kill your stride here but the lts make it a pain... The starter cover on the bellhousing gets caught up.I have macs which can be used on autos for clearance so i usually just wiggle and roll it around til it comes out but im not sure how the bbks are. You might have to loosen or remove one side.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:57 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

bbk's are narrow, one side atleast will have to come off.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:17 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cobrajets
Get long extensions for the bell housing and starter bolts. At least 30 inches of extensions. More is better. A good 13mm swivel socket is nice, too.

I'm not sure if the '04 is the same as my '00, but if it has the same O2 sensor bracket held in place by the top two bell housing bolts. I would suggest, instead of trying to put it back in place, just delete it. It will fight you all the way. It is not really necessary either, IMO.

Get some blue thread locker for the flywheel and pressure plate bolts. Make sure you use the proper torque specs for those bolts, too.

If you don't replace your flywheel, make sure you get your old one resurfaced. Clean the flywheel, p.p., and clutch disc with brake cleaner before you install them.

I used a resurfaced stock flywheel, Centerforce D.F. clutch, FRPP pilot and throwout bearings. I love it! Works flawlessly. Good Luck!
amen...especially to the swivel sockets.

also, i would use the red loctite instead of the blue. the blue is not quite as strong. i don't think you will need a new cable either.

i can't remember off of the top of my head, but there is a certain way to torque the bolts on the pressure plate. the best description i can give you now is a star pattern, tightening in increments.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:22 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

wrong...i don't have a stock 26 spline input shaft. thats just a very common upgrade. ford was retarded and installed a 10 spline stock.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:26 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cobrajets
Get long extensions for the bell housing and starter bolts. At least 30 inches of extensions. More is better. A good 13mm swivel socket is nice, too.

I'm not sure if the '04 is the same as my '00, but if it has the same O2 sensor bracket held in place by the top two bell housing bolts. I would suggest, instead of trying to put it back in place, just delete it. It will fight you all the way. It is not really necessary either, IMO.
I agree with what he said. One thing we did to make getting the top two bolts out was to unbolt the tranny cross member and allow the engine/transmission to "rotate" back. (We were on a lift and had a transmission jack, so that made it a lot easier.) If you have big hands, you're in for some fun getting those top two bolts.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:09 PM
nagata
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 98redstang
Oh well not to kill your stride here but the lts make it a pain... The starter cover on the bellhousing gets caught up.I have macs which can be used on autos for clearance so i usually just wiggle and roll it around til it comes out but im not sure how the bbks are. You might have to loosen or remove one side.
bbk's are narrow, one side atleast will have to come off.
Arg, pisser...Thanks for letting me know, I'm glad I asked! I'm not prepared to go that far in a garage that's not mine (couldn't leave the Mustang in there indefinitely while I try to figure **** out), so looks like I'll just have someone else do it...I've had 2 local speed shop shop quote me $300-$400 for installation, and they know I have LTs, so screw it, I'll pay that to not go through the headache.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:20 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

very reasonably priced, i think they are gonna be a little pissed when they realize they have to take your header off. a lot of headers DO allow the tranny to come off, but ive yet to hear someone with BBK's able to leave them on. they may not know that...yet :-P

Quick Reply: Clutch Replacement