4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

pypes x pype?'s

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 10:08 PM
hole18n1
2nd Gear Member

Default pypes x pype?'s

K so i had an pypes x pype laying around at my house and i've got my old h pype pulled off and would like to put the X on. i have 4 connecters that hook up to the old h pype 2 green 2 blue.
1. are they all o2 sensors?
2. if i only plug in the front 2 will my check engine light come on?
Old 11-20-2010, 10:21 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

1) Yes.
2) Most likely. I've heard stories of people with both catted and off-road pipes getting away without using mil eliminators or a tuner to turn the rear sensors off, but I'm not sure it's like that for the vast majority of us. Either way, your car should run just fine, the rear o2 sensors are only there to monitor catalyst efficiency; the front sensors are the ones that are critical.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:36 AM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

"stories of people with mil eliminators and tuners but its not like that for the majority of people?"

a tuner will absolutely disable the CEL. it completely turns off your emissions checks, theres nothing to be "maybe" about then. MIL elims do as well, but they CAN go bad or get tempermental. my mil elims worked for a few months then took a dump so i had to turn them off with my handheld.

yes, they are 02 sensors. why would you not plug the rears in? even if you plug them in, your still gonna have a CEL if you dont have cats, and even some high flow cats will pop a CEL too.

and FYI, the CEL doesnt mean a damn thing. its ONLY, i repeat, ONLY there to tell you that your cats are not working. it has zero effect on the way your car runs.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:14 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Although DTC 1000 will not be set with the rear sensors disabled in the tune, nearly any scan tool can easily detect that the catalyst monitor tests are "not available" (it's usually called I/M Status, or something like that, in scan tools--a disabled monitor will be displayed as "n/a").

Bit 0 of byte C, returned by mode 01/PID 01, indicates whether the cat monitoring is "available" (enabled)--since it should be on all OBD2 vehicles in the US it's an immediate fail--IF the emissions test people read that PID instead of just relying on DTC 1000.

All this said, as I haven't had a car "smogged" in 20 years, since moving to Florida, I have no idea how the tests are performed...
Old 11-21-2010, 09:12 AM
hole18n1
2nd Gear Member

well i live in illinois so theres no emissions testing and the reason i was only gonna plug in the front 02's is because the holes forn the back 2 are positioned different on the x pype there alot farther back and i dont think that they will reach
Old 11-21-2010, 09:13 AM
Case's97GT
1st Gear Member

yes your front O2 sensors are the only ones you want. the rears just making sure your cats are working properly. I have MIL on my rear ones and have never had a problem, just make sure they are not banging around down there.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:24 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by hole18n1
well i live in illinois so theres no emissions testing and the reason i was only gonna plug in the front 02's is because the holes forn the back 2 are positioned different on the x pype there alot farther back and i dont think that they will reach
You will get one or more persistent DTCs, and the SES lamp will illuminate, with the rear sensors not mounted and/or connected. Other than that there will be no performance issues as others have stated.

One remaining issue is that if other DTCs are triggered you won't know about them unless you read the codes once in a while.

Turning off the catalyst monitoring in the tune will prevent the DTCs. "MIL eliminators" will only work with installed and working rear sensors.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:07 AM
Bladerunner
2nd Gear Member

Alot of people have had fitment issues with the Pypes X pipes.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:50 AM
hole18n1
2nd Gear Member

how bad of issues do they have?
Old 11-22-2010, 11:45 AM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

honestly i've ran about a dozen different mid pipes and the ONLY one that fit PROPERLY was the stock one.

i've had a pypes, bbk, 2 macs, UPR, and several other brands. most of them all hang very low at the point where the catback meets the midpipe which causes me to scrape on speedbumps and even the road if it has bad ruts from normal traffic. every single one of them has had a small exhaust leak near either the passenger header or driver header.

i know SOME of the problem (exhaust leak at header) is not a problem with those pipes for every car. my buddy had a GT and he bought a couple of my pipes off me when i kept switching midpipes and his car never had a leak. guessing there may just be some slight defect in one of my headers that causes exhaust leaks (and yes, the gasket was always replaced on the passenger side header).

Quick Reply: pypes x pype?'s