4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Intake Plenum and TB installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 01:15 AM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

Default Intake Plenum and TB installation

I'm going to be installing a C&L Intake Plenum and BBK Throttle Body tomorrow afternoon, I set aside the tools to get the job done so it will hopefully be quick and easy. I just had a few questions for those who have done it before.

Bolts for plenum: Can the stock bolts be used? Or do I need to purchase replacement bolts?

Throttle Cable Linkage: Do I use the stock one for that as well? If I use the stock one, does it need to be adjusted?

Throttle Position Sensor: Do I need to do anything with this besides swap it? I noticed people have been saying something about a mutlimeter being needed to set it. Is this something I need to worry about?

Installation: I'm not sure how to remove the throttle cable linkage. It looks like the right side of it (facing front bumper) is just screwed on, but the left side has a few connections. Any ideas?

...anything else you want to add along with the installation that you think would be useful?
Old 08-20-2005, 02:56 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Intake Plenum and TB installation

I'm going to be installing a C&L Intake Plenum and BBK Throttle Body tomorrow afternoon, I set aside the tools to get the job done so it will hopefully be quick and easy. I just had a few questions for those who have done it before.

Bolts for plenum: Can the stock bolts be used? Or do I need to purchase replacement bolts?

Stock bolts can be used. I swapped a sotcker for a C&L in the parking lot of Baytown raceway during FFW.

Throttle Cable Linkage: Do I use the stock one for that as well? If I use the stock one, does it need to be adjusted?

Dont adjust anything. Take the two bolts out off the bracket and bolt it right back down to the C&L.

Throttle Position Sensor: Do I need to do anything with this besides swap it? I noticed people have been saying something about a mutlimeter being needed to set it. Is this something I need to worry about?

You wont need a new one if you be really careful with the one you have now. If you drop it then it can be thrown out of configuration and you will then need a new one.

Installation: I'm not sure how to remove the throttle cable linkage. It looks like the right side of it (facing front bumper) is just screwed on, but the left side has a few connections. Any ideas?

You will take two bolts out of the bracket and then the connections out of the TB. This is actually an easy task. Just mess around with it for a second and you will get it.

...anything else you want to add along with the installation that you think would be useful?

Get a new gasket in between the TB and and plenum. The EGR should be safe to be reused. MAKE SURE YOU DONT CROSS ANY THREADS!!! They will cross thread easy and you will strip them even easier if you put a wrench on them. Rule of thumb is, they will/should screw down 3/4 of the way by hand before you need to put a wrench on it. This goes for all the bolts you will install!

If there are any inperfectins in the casting then get a Dremmell and smooth them out before the install. Dont worry about messing it up... just keep it even.

I think thats about all. Ive done this three hundred million gazillion times.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:30 PM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

Awesome, thanks man I appreciate it. I'm going to be doing this in an hour or so. I'll let you know how it went.

Thanks again!

Old 08-20-2005, 02:04 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Sounds good. Its easier than it looks.
Old 08-20-2005, 03:50 PM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

I have everything disconnected except for the black plastic piece that attaches the throttle cable to the back side of the throttle body. I don't understand how to take this off.

It looks like there is a plug next to the firewall that is attached to the bottom of that rotating plastic piece that I can push down with a screwdriver and pull off, but it's extremely hard to get off so I stopped for the moment.

How do I detach this piece, it's all I have left!!!
Old 08-20-2005, 04:03 PM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

I have the throttle cable removed now, had to open the butterfly to take up the slack and pull down on it. It slid right out with the aluminum cylinder on the end.

All I have left to take off is the black cable that is attached to the bottom of that black plastic piece.

Any ideas? All I have to do is release that connector, or is there more to it?
Old 08-20-2005, 04:05 PM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

Nevermind...just had to pull up a bit harder than I thought.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:43 PM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

Wow.

Just took her for a test drive, HUGE difference.

Thanks JDaniel, I appreciate the help!