MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   Good sound Advice for lowering springs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/625948-good-sound-advice-for-lowering-springs.html)

bell206doc 12-10-2010 10:07 AM

Good sound Advice for lowering springs

Hey everyone, I need some good sound advice on lowering springs.

Heres the situation, my wife (bless her heart) bought me some lowering springs off Ebay, the discription is 2" drop front and back. there are no brand names on any of them and only info on box is "fits mustang GT 1999-2004". Of course I performed some research and they were sold from an Ebay store called Fast Way Racer for $80 shipped. NO REFUNDS.

I am looking for real responses of what to do, what not to do, etc.

I am kinda a stickler for brands I know Eibach, H&R etc. and I am afraid these are gonna
be more trouble that they are worth, i.e sagging, quality etc.

So Please Help.

kzonts 12-14-2010 03:25 PM

Hmm. If it was me I wouldn't put them on my car. I'd go with a reputable brand and vendor. And a "2" inch drop is big! You will need other parts to make it work. And then you'll be in jeopardy of bottoming out. If it's a daily driver you probably don't want it that low.

rygi23 12-14-2010 05:43 PM

look over the springs thoroughly and closely and see if you can find a model number on them anywhere. My eibachs had that. You'll definitly need caster/camber plates and I recommend retaining the isolators with that much drop. But still, try to find out more info before thinking about installing them. Suspension is one thing you don't want to mess up.

fidelcastrol 12-15-2010 04:13 PM

Swapping out springs on a Mustang is easy, pop them in and see how you like them, you will most likely need performance shocks and struts with that much drop cost you'll blow the stockers quick and also a set of cc plates or camber bolts.

82gtTtop 12-15-2010 04:33 PM

Depends on how concerned you are about the ride quality and ride height. 2" is a big drop like others have said. You cant fit a jack under it that low or pull on ramps. You will need cast and camber plates. As far as ride quality, I am sure they are specific rate springs so they are probably going to ride rough. I have the Eibach Pro Kit which is progressive rate and the car sits just right and rides really good. Like fidel said though, they are not real hard to put on so it might be worth a try.

Aereon 12-15-2010 10:21 PM

Bring it to a shop and have them compress the springs, they'll be able to rate them and tell you more info about it, thats only if you wanna keep em.

My advice, use em as paper weight and get proper springs, H&R if you wanna go low, and steeda sports if you're just looking for a slight drop. Steeda's spring rates work fairly well with stock shocks/struts so it's one less expense.

bell206doc 12-17-2010 09:09 AM

Hello everyone,

sorry been out of town since Friday, well the vendor gave me some more info, They are Progressive rate springs, and Made by OPTIMUM. Thats all the info
he would give me. still not sure if I want to chance it.

rygi23 12-17-2010 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by bell206doc (Post 7336570)
Hello everyone,

sorry been out of town since Friday, well the vendor gave me some more info, They are Progressive rate springs, and Made by OPTIMUM. Thats all the info
he would give me. still not sure if I want to chance it.

Did a google on them and came up with absolutly nothing. Just go with a reputable spring. Go bang for the buck and get a medium drop spring that, when using both isolators, doesn't require c/c plates or abuse the stock struts. Like Aereon says, the steeda sports are great for that, Eibach prokits are good as well.

Bladerunner 12-18-2010 03:57 AM

I would sell those cheap knock off springs and get the Eibach Pro Kit springs I love them and they make for a perfect drop I think.Plan on getting new struts and shocks and a
good alignment from a reputable shop!

bell206doc 12-20-2010 10:56 AM

Talk about a run-around form ebay sellers, they are not OPTIMUM, they are OPTION and are locally made in So Cali, They said they are the SAME quality as the reputable names, just cheaper. I dont know anything else, so maybe they will be paper weights.