4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

misfire issue

Old 12-14-2010, 08:53 PM
Obsidian71
2nd Gear Member

Default misfire issue

My '00 GT started to misfire yesterday, here's what I've done so far and it's still misfiring! Scanned it, said mis in cyl. 5 so I pulled the plug out to check it and it was beat! So I changed all 8. Still missed. Scanned it again still cyl. 5, so I swapped coils with cyl. 6 and drove a bit to get it to get the computer to recognize a change. Scanned it again and now it was a mis in cyl. 6. So I replaced the coil. Still missing and now it says mis in cyl. 4. WTF!!! Could it be bad gas, or a computer issue???
Any suggestions???
Thanks!
Old 12-14-2010, 09:54 PM
swarthyfellow
3rd Gear Member

Check the connection on the inside of the COP. They can messy sometimes after pulling them
Old 12-15-2010, 07:26 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Also, bad RF signals from one faulty COP can cause other ones to go with it. Swap #4 with a totally opposite COP and see if the miss follows it
Old 12-16-2010, 08:08 AM
Obsidian71
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
Also, bad RF signals from one faulty COP can cause other ones to go with it. Swap #4 with a totally opposite COP and see if the miss follows it
Good deal. That's what it was. I also talked to a Ford tech and he said the same thing. Typically when one goes you can expect a domino effect, especially if you don't get the bad one out of there pretty quickly. So for now it seems to be good, but I think as soon as I have the $ it's time for a full set of MSD coils.
Thanks for the info!
Old 12-16-2010, 12:58 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by dohcramair71
Good deal. That's what it was. I also talked to a Ford tech and he said the same thing. Typically when one goes you can expect a domino effect, especially if you don't get the bad one out of there pretty quickly. So for now it seems to be good, but I think as soon as I have the $ it's time for a full set of MSD coils.
Thanks for the info!
You're talking to a Ford tech now

Lol actually I was a Ford tech for 5 years, now Im at a private shop... same difference glad you got it figured bro
Old 12-16-2010, 02:05 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Thanks for the info!
Just on a side note because someone will ask, it's a good thing you're replacing all of the coils and not just the bad one for the reason you stated above.

It's also important to know that if you choose to replace just the bad one, you should replace it with the same Brand or Mfg. When you Mix and match coils from different brands/mfgs you can get the same domino issue because the off brad will have different resistance and feedback to the PCM.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:34 PM
Obsidian71
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Just on a side note because someone will ask, it's a good thing you're replacing all of the coils and not just the bad one for the reason you stated above.

It's also important to know that if you choose to replace just the bad one, you should replace it with the same Brand or Mfg. When you Mix and match coils from different brands/mfgs you can get the same domino issue because the off brad will have different resistance and feedback to the PCM.
Yeah, I think I'm having that problem now...it still misses a bit when it's dead cold in the am, it's been in the 20's here in CT the past few mornings. It seems fine after it warms up a bit but I'm araid it's going to domino again real soon. I'm gonna try and return the 2 I've replaced so far since they're crappy aftermarket ones that I bought in a pinch, and put the $ toward the MSD's. I just need to figure out what to drive until the MSD's come in.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:46 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Msd are junk too. Buy oem ford or dont buy em
Old 12-23-2010, 09:48 PM
EODMustang
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I think I'm having that problem now...it still misses a bit when it's dead cold in the am, it's been in the 20's here in CT the past few mornings. It seems fine after it warms up a bit but I'm araid it's going to domino again real soon. I'm gonna try and return the 2 I've replaced so far since they're crappy aftermarket ones that I bought in a pinch, and put the $ toward the MSD's. I just need to figure out what to drive until the MSD's come in.
I've had the MSD ones on my ride for a couple years now. Never had any problems with them. They're starting to show their age now though, so I'm gonna get new ones soon. Delta Forces tuning software makes some new ones that actually clamp onto the end of the plug instead of bolting into the manifold. I need to find out more about them, but they seem pretty legit. Just another option if you decide to change from the OEM coils.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:50 AM
Obsidian71
2nd Gear Member

Anyone have any info on the delta forces ones? I haven't replaced mine yet and I'm open to suggestions.... I did find a full set of new MSD's for $325 which is about $70 less than what I can get OE's for even having worked in a Ford dealership body shop until 2 weeks ago.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: misfire issue