4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Motor is out and apart!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 10:04 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

If you have the spare cash I'd consider the Trickflow heads, and with the amount of boost your looking to push I'd definitely look into switching to a return style fuel system.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:33 AM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

yea, i've got 5k to spend. im prolly just gunna sump the tank, run a -8 w/ a pair of walbro 255's up to rails, then run a -6 to return. keep the factory bucket for gauge, but if all works out i should have enough cash for a basic megasquirt setup on top of the motor, heads, and fuel.

trickflow heads are probably out of the budget at that point. was hopin to maybe somehow squeeze in koni's STR.T's on all 4 corners but thats looking out at this point too unless i can get some deals on used stuff.

MMR offers ford racing heads for $900, but im guessing those are just stock PI 2v heads? how much HP are stock heads limited to? hell, if i could just get a replacement passenger side head that might be an option. i kno, at this point it sucks i have to squeeze every penny and dime here and there... i just figure a set of better struts/shocks would be a better spent 300$ than on heads if i dont need it. i havent ever really considered what i would need beyond 400 rwhp.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:27 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

Oh yea, I would also heavily recommend upgrading your valvesprings. You need a much stronger spring when you start pushing the boost up on a turbo setup.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:54 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

yea i figured, plus im gunna see if stage 2 turbo cams are in the budget.
what about the mod 750, stage 2 heads, stage 2 turbo cams, plus AM.com has a 2v spring kit for 270$ from patriot performance? that would put me just under my budget. if not i guess i could hold off on valve springs and cams and go straight for stage 3 heads now, but stick with stock springs/valves until im ready for more boost? that would allow me to put upgrades probably where they're needed more...
Old 12-29-2010, 03:11 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

I don't know how much those springs are good for, I know Nick from MHS has a spring he recommends for high boost turbo cars. If you give him a call he might work a deal with you for a head/cam package with the springs and all that you need.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:37 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

I would just save a bit more and go for the cams, springs, and valves now. I don't see a point in putting it all together and having a built motor with stock cams and springs, just to take it all apart again and put the valves and springs in. You'll spend more doing it twice with a second set of gaskets factored in. There's no time limit is there? Just let it sit for another few weeks while you save the money to do it once.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:51 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

not really a time limit, i just would like to get the car out of my dads garage so he has somewhere to park besides the driveway lol. plus the more trips i have to make back up to mass to do this stuff, the worse, as it costs like 30-40$ to drive up, and another 30 back down... besides the fact that bein down to my wifes lancer really sucks. front wheel 4 banger FTL... MMR said its gunna be about 6 weeks from when i order the motor to when i get it - but hey, at least its free shipping on it right now!

so my thought at this point is a mod 750, and have my heads rebuilt by MMR. i just had my dad stick the plugs back in the heads for the valve in question and the one next to it, and he said there's no thread stickout or anything, still waitin on a picture. but another thing im concerned about is if there are any valve issues, but with a stage 2 job from MMR that should cover any damage that was done. then i can toss in a set of stage 2 cams and springs. so many bills are hitting right now, the next 2 months are probably gunna be 0$ saved.

edit: also, Comp Cams Valve springs/retainers or Manley? bronze guides? stainless valves? i'm probably gunna stick with MMR's stage 2 turbo cams --

Last edited by zero2005; 12-29-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:12 AM
aviator97

Nick has a lot of experience with the valve train set ups I would go with whatever he recommends for your set up. Good luck with your build!!
Old 12-30-2010, 03:29 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

yea i just dont know if i can wait for the turnaround, when i looked on the website it was like late march just to get the heads for them to do. i wouldnt mind waiting, but i'd like to have my car out of my dads garage before spring...

just put the motor on layaway. went with the 750 short block, 9.5:1 CR, piston notching, bunch of the small upgrades like their oil pump... $3500...

now i just gotta find a place i can get a good repair/port/polish job and cams...
Old 12-30-2010, 04:22 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by zero2005
yea i just dont know if i can wait for the turnaround, when i looked on the website it was like late march just to get the heads for them to do. i wouldnt mind waiting, but i'd like to have my car out of my dads garage before spring...

now i just gotta find a place i can get a good repair/port/polish job and cams...
Personally I'd still go to either Nick at MHS or MMR. Both of them have a heavy amount of experience with turbo setups, so they're going to be able to get you the right valvetrain setup. I know the wait sucks, but like Xemeth said, I'd rather do it one time and be done.

Quick Reply: Motor is out and apart!