4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Doors shut like a freakin tank

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 02:48 PM
ronbrgundy

Default Doors shut like a freakin tank

(#1) An earlier front end accident screwed up the passenger door a little. Someone shimmied the driver side door recently and now it is a B* to shut as well. I mean you have to slam the thing and it still has a small gap that lets air and sound in.

How much would I expect to pay for this to be fixed at a mechanic and is it something a total amateur could do?

(#2) BONUS question

I have done a lot of car audio installation with amps, sound deadening, speakers, head units etc. I have always been intimidated to do any work on my car because I never had a mentor for it and am afraid of screwing something up.

Given that I have shown some ability with hands on with my wiring and audio, should I start trying minor things on the car? Again Im afraid I'll screw something up but I suppose with a manual it can't be that hard to swap parts out.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:12 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

what exactly do u mean by trying stuff on your own car? do you mean installing your own speaker system? its pretty straight forward depending on what you want to do, but IMO is best to just bypass the whole stock sound system and replace it.

i would maybe ask some shops first off to see if they can pinpoint the problem with the door. are you sure its a problem with the door and not the body/frame? if it were just the door, i personally would maybe try to find another door, but then you gotta worry about any sort of minor mismatch alignment issues, as well as paint...
Old 12-29-2010, 03:58 PM
ronbrgundy

Originally Posted by zero2005
what exactly do u mean by trying stuff on your own car? do you mean installing your own speaker system? its pretty straight forward depending on what you want to do, but IMO is best to just bypass the whole stock sound system and replace it.

i would maybe ask some shops first off to see if they can pinpoint the problem with the door. are you sure its a problem with the door and not the body/frame? if it were just the door, i personally would maybe try to find another door, but then you gotta worry about any sort of minor mismatch alignment issues, as well as paint...
Thanks

I think my friend said I likely need a new fuel injector. He says (going off my memory) my pistons are misfiring, it smells like oil or something, car doesn't sound / feel like it should.