4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

10,000 miles on clutch ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 03:49 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

How much free play in the clutch pedal? Pressing on the pedal with your hand it should depress 1" TO 1-1/4" before you feel the ToB start to compress the Belleville spring fingers.

If the pedal is rock hard from the start then the cable is too tight (have you ever adjusted it?) and the clutch is not fully engaging. Adjusting it properly may make it grab better, though from what you describe the damage may be done.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:50 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by Bladerunner
Catastrophic failures can happen at any time to anyone.
My Spec Stage 2 clutch disc failed on me in 5K miles.
I even did the proper break in that Spec recommeds and I wasn't that
hard on the clutch either failures happen and it says alot about the
product being used also.
The best clutch I have used is the Centerforce Dual Friction clutch and
I highly recommend getting one if you want a great clutch that will last.
You didn't do the clutch install so you will never know if you're spec was installed correctly.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:22 AM
piledriver
Banned

Hard on your clutch? I don't think after only 10K you'd have any problems. I must say, my '03 has 66K on the odometer, 12K on the new motor. the last 35K miles are SuperCharged, and I am still on the factory clutch!! That's 66,000 miles on a stock clutch, I can't believe it sometimes!
Old 12-31-2010, 12:42 PM
YDKJS1980

Not a lot of extra play, like u said I've got about an inch or so where its soft and stiffens up after that. I'm told the pressure plate seems fine, there's just nothing left to grip with. I was able to take off in third, but I don't know what that really means in relation to clutch being good or bad. Anyhow I'm on the internet looking for a new clutch kit, If anyone would like to share your do's and dont's when looking for a clutch. Like I said, its pretty basic 4.6, bolt on's and maybe some shorter gears in the future but that's all I'm looking for. Thanks for the help
Old 12-31-2010, 12:47 PM
YDKJS1980

Also, I will be doing this install, its a first for me but after the last clutch its just not worth it. I'd rather save money on install and buy a better kit
Old 12-31-2010, 01:31 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

Personally I had great luck with my spec stage 1, and many people on here have done well with their products. I would recommend upgrading the pilot and throw out bearings, but the clutches are fine. Keep in mind if your mechanic got any grease on the clutch disc, that will cause it to grip unusually hard for the first so many miles and then slip. You have to be very clean doing a clutch install.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:37 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

so who makes the best pilot/throw out bearings? im lookin into a new clutch/flywheel as well.

transmission isnt that heavy btw. you'd be surprised at how light that thing is. hardest part is gunna be gettin the bolts. i had to use a torch to heat up the metal first, then use an impact (after i had the motor out).
Old 01-01-2011, 03:23 PM
everett
2nd Gear Member

Not spec. I have read nothing but horror stories about spec in these forums and a good friend of mine has a2000 gt vert and he was one of them. Customer service is crap. Anything under stage 3 is junk. I almost bought one. Glad I didn't. My centerforce takes a daily pounding and I will buy another in a heartbeat
Old 01-02-2011, 12:21 AM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

hmmm.. yea, seems like every clutch company has thier ups/downs.
anyone offer any good deals on centerforce clutches? i need somethin that can handle alot of HP/TQ and abuse, was considerin a spec stage 3, but i've heard more bad than good, even more so than the ebay XTD/XTR clutches lol.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:34 AM
everett
2nd Gear Member

Centerforce df is good to 450 hp then the centerforce dfx is over 600 I believe and if you are gonna swap your own clutch I suggest going into the stickies at the Modded mustang forums and in the 99-04 section they have a play by play with pictures on doing it. I had never done one before but I did mine with the instructions from that sticky. You will need a 2ft extension and a swivel fitting to get it done and get the car as high as you can because of the angle of the swivel for the top tranny bolts. But like I said I had never ever taken on a project like that and I did it with that sticky and my iPhone. As soon as I thought uh oh what's next I checked out the next step and boom good to go. Centerforce has made a believer out of me so I will recommend this clutch any and everyday.

Quick Reply: 10,000 miles on clutch ?