4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Project Story...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 10:38 PM
NinjaMonky
1st Gear Member

Default Project Story...

Well, I have a 02 gt its been my project for about a year n half, although I had the money to build a good car, not a whole Lotta time to put the parts together. So the car has spent alot of time sitting, but the first time around i did cams + bolt ons got it running, and the day before dyno tune i spun a bearing.

so i tore it down n ordered new forged crank, rods, n pistons. Once i had a built bottom end I bought some 4v heads had those ported but then later decided that switching to 4v is too much work so I went and had my pi heads ported. About the time I got these put on the car the tfs heads came out, so picked up a set of those and had a stage 3 port job from mmr. Got theses on the car, everything ran great but again before I could a tune, I heard a real bad knocking sound coming from what seemed like a camshaft. Once torn down, it came out to be several of the valve guides had come out and were sliding around on the valves dumping chunks of metal into my motor.

Luckily it just dinged up the pistons no scratches were on the cylinder wall, I took the heads to a local machine shop had to get all new valves and got bronze guides put in as well. And now finally got it back together, the first start up was today and immediately I can hear a knock at idle. I have no idea wtf it is, as soon I heard it I shut the car off and left.

Cliff Notes: motor has been built up three times n due to major bad luck has broke three times.

Idk what to do, im a full time college student n work full time as well. I don't really have time for this bull sh*t, thinking of parting the motor out along with **** I bought n don't need n the built t56. just leaving the shell n putting it into storage until I finish college so I can deal with it. Meanwhile I want to go fast, but i don't want payments so i thinking of getting gsxr but then I need a another vehicle for bad weather. Idk what to do. This is more of a vent than anything, gf doesn't seem to understand where im coming from in fact I think she's a lil perturbed with me n that my **** keeps breaking. So I thought id tell a few car guys.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:16 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NinjaMonky
Well, I have a 02 gt its been my project for about a year n half, although I had the money to build a good car, not a whole Lotta time to put the parts together. So the car has spent alot of time sitting, but the first time around i did cams + bolt ons got it running, and the day before dyno tune i spun a bearing.

so i tore it down n ordered new forged crank, rods, n pistons. Once i had a built bottom end I bought some 4v heads had those ported but then later decided that switching to 4v is too much work so I went and had my pi heads ported. About the time I got these put on the car the tfs heads came out, so picked up a set of those and had a stage 3 port job from mmr. Got theses on the car, everything ran great but again before I could a tune, I heard a real bad knocking sound coming from what seemed like a camshaft. Once torn down, it came out to be several of the valve guides had come out and were sliding around on the valves dumping chunks of metal into my motor.

Luckily it just dinged up the pistons no scratches were on the cylinder wall, I took the heads to a local machine shop had to get all new valves and got bronze guides put in as well. And now finally got it back together, the first start up was today and immediately I can hear a knock at idle. I have no idea wtf it is, as soon I heard it I shut the car off and left.

Cliff Notes: motor has been built up three times n due to major bad luck has broke three times.

Idk what to do, im a full time college student n work full time as well. I don't really have time for this bull sh*t, thinking of parting the motor out along with **** I bought n don't need n the built t56. just leaving the shell n putting it into storage until I finish college so I can deal with it. Meanwhile I want to go fast, but i don't want payments so i thinking of getting gsxr but then I need a another vehicle for bad weather. Idk what to do. This is more of a vent than anything, gf doesn't seem to understand where im coming from in fact I think she's a lil perturbed with me n that my **** keeps breaking. So I thought id tell a few car guys.

Man that sucks but I feel ya. I swapped in a built short block that ended up making a strange noise...I pulled it and it checked out ok so I decided to upgrade heads and cams to eliminate that as the cause of the noise. Motor is still makin the same noise, I smell antifreeze but cant see it leakin from anywhere, and the motor seems to be making other little noises that it didnt before but still bug me. Kinda just wanna swap in a stock motor and part the built crap out. GF hates it too lol
Old 01-06-2011, 03:35 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

im sorry about your problems, but it sounds as if you never really had a solid plan for the car. your spending almost seems reckless.

either way thats some terrible luck. i would just part out the entire thing and start fresh with a solid plan.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:20 PM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Sounds like my car haha. Tons of problems. But i still love her!
Old 01-06-2011, 04:36 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 945LSTANG
im sorry about your problems, but it sounds as if you never really had a solid plan for the car. your spending almost seems reckless.

either way thats some terrible luck. i would just part out the entire thing and start fresh with a solid plan.
+1

I wish I could just say "Well, I think I'll buy one of these..." and blow a few grand. Damn bills...

Not to pry, but how exactly does a college student, even working full time, have that kind of money? I worked full time in college, but not a good enough job to where I could blow that kind of money.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:37 PM
NinjaMonky
1st Gear Member

I'd have to agree with not having a solid plan and blowing money like a dumb ***, well I get an idea and as I pursue it I discover a better route and drop w/e im doing and follow the new and improved plan. I have to say this is what has drug out my project. Well I live with my gf, the only bills I have is phone, insurance on my DD & gym.

Hhhmmm maybe I should just buy a termi motor! I already have the t56 to go with it.. Idk @ this point I feel like my head is spinning in so many directions.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:37 PM
NinjaMonky
1st Gear Member

Xemeth what's your new project motor?