4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Overheating-97 GT

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 12:37 PM
vargas
2nd Gear Member

Angry Overheating-97 GT

Started having problems when i replaced the broken thermostat. The car started overheating but it wasn't showing on the dashboard themp gague.

So i took the thermostat off this morning and ran the car around the block. the car still overheadted but the temp gague didn't show it.

The coolant spews out of the radiator cap. My guess is that my radiator is clogged.....since there is no thermostat.

Can anyone give me some ideas on what it is or could be.

P.S.
There are traces of oil in the coolant system due to a broken intake gasket i fixed a couple weeks ago.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:28 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

IS your radiator clogged? Old/rusty? if you fixed the thermostat, I would inspect that next. (that is if you are sure its not the thermostat) also, I would look into possibly figuring out why your temp gauge isnt working.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:51 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

May just be your radiator cap. Might not be overheating at all. Could be why your gauge isn't showing it overheating. Cap could be bad and releasing at a low pressure.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:52 PM
v8.GT Stang
1st Gear Member

The coolant spews out of the radiator cap
seems your radiator cap don't do its work .. maybe u feel its overheating because the coolant keeps spews out of that cap ..
Old 01-06-2011, 03:57 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

just curious, where IS the radiator suppose to "boil over" to?
Old 01-06-2011, 06:38 PM
vargas
2nd Gear Member

S.O.F.B.
So i replaced the radiator cap with a new one and coolant still spewed from the f*&#ing cap. Whats next a restriction in the radiator preventing coolant from entering the engine block thus causing the coolant to spew out the cap?

I wish i had a drive way so i can just take it all apart and clean it throughly and confirm the problem myself.

OH but the temp gague IS working now that i replaced the cap. I'm puzzled.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:14 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Why did you change the t-stat? What problem were you having originally? Did you get out all the air?
Old 01-06-2011, 10:56 PM
vargas
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DRAGUL
Why did you change the t-stat? What problem were you having originally? Did you get out all the air?
I changed the t-stat because it was physically broken. I did let the air out.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:16 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Is the temp gauge reading at 0? The temp gauge is not a dummy gauge and will work properly, if the car warms up and the gauge rises to normal operating temps and stays in there I would imagine the car is NOT overheating. Since you replaced the cap and it still is doing it I would check the neck that the cap screwes on, with age a few people expereince cracked expansion tanks due to the plastic design.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:52 PM
vargas
2nd Gear Member

I appreciate all of your guys' input. Today i found out i was running without motor oil. So i put three quarts and it drove better. by that i mean there was less vapor coming from the cap and temp gague was lower than before. I'm guessing it helped keep the engine cooler. anyway i discovered a small,very tiny spot where air bubbles were coming out; below the thermo-housing where it connects to the intake. :/