4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Is this PI intake trashed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 06:36 PM
mtang98 gt

Default Is this PI intake trashed?

well just got a PI intake used and am a little worried that there is some extreme wear. the inside of the intake channles leading to the top of the heads are really ruff and have like wrinkles in the inside of them and not smooth whatsoever except in certain spots. is this normal wear and tear or did this intake get fried lol.. could i sand this problem to fix it?

this is the smoothest one
Old 01-09-2011, 07:40 PM
mtang98 gt

well i only paid $60..
Old 01-09-2011, 08:07 PM
96meangreengt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bladerunner
When my non-pi intake manifold cracked on me I purchase a new PI intake and the
inside of it looked alot smoother than that.It is possible that the PI intake you purchased
could have been used on a mustang that overheated.I notice that that PI intake
manifold has alot of carbon deposit build up on it.I wouldn't install that PI intake on my mustang.I would purchase a brand new PI intake manifold they are not that expensive
anyway.
how many times are u gonna say PI intake?
Old 01-09-2011, 08:15 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

should of upgraded intakes since you needed a new one
Old 01-09-2011, 08:54 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 96meangreengt
how many times are u gonna say PI intake?
He's a troll and a spammer. Don't mind him. He's clueless.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:28 PM
mtang98 gt

Huh well i wonder if i was to sand the wrinkles down i could make it like new agian...
Old 01-10-2011, 01:42 AM
ASSEMbler

Extrude hone. Is that nitrous backfire damage?

Last edited by ASSEMbler; 01-10-2011 at 01:44 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:02 AM
mtang98 gt

I do not know cause the guy i bought it off of was told it was off a daily driver. i have started to sand it its helping but i dont think it well ever be perfect cause my fingers cant handle being cut so much. Where could i find an Extrude honer or possibley borrow?
Old 01-10-2011, 05:10 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by Bladerunner
When my non-pi intake manifold cracked on me I purchase a new PI intake and the
inside of it looked alot smoother than that.It is possible that the PI intake you purchased
could have been used on a mustang that overheated.I notice that that PI intake
manifold has alot of carbon deposit build up on it.I wouldn't install that PI intake on my mustang.I would purchase a brand new PI intake manifold they are not that expensive
anyway.
So it looks like it has alot of carbon build up so throw it away and but a new one??????? No, simply clean it up removed the carbon and install it. OP: Clean that intake up and run it.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:13 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

An extrusion hone (abrasive flow maching) device, capable of doing a V8 intake manifold, would be some 8 feet or so tall and weigh 4000+ lbs--something like this:

I do not know that the plastic intake could withstand the process.

The good news is that the ripples you observe do not impact the flow other than to perhaps improve it a bit. They will create boundary layer turbulence, which behaves as a liquid bearing that "lubricates" the main flow and wall of the intake--and reduces drag.

On a mirror smooth surface the speed of the fluid molecules is zero, as they stick to the surface, the passing molecules drag on these "stuck" molecules as they pass. On a roughned surface the turbulent boundary builds as a very thin layer of molecules recirculates between those that a stuck and the main laminar flow, reducing drag on the main flow.

This is why golf ***** have dimples, they would not fly half as far is they were smooth. It is also why pig-pong ***** seem to fly oddly; beyond that they do not weigh much, as their "spin" slows the boundary layer drag increases and they slow rapidly.

Forget 100mph fastballs too, if baseballs were smooth...

On a flow bench differences of 0.5 to 1.0%, between smooth and rough surface intakes are typical, and that is likely due to the slight enlargement of the passage ways caused by the polishing. Mirror finsh passages will always flow worse than rough finish if dimensionally idential parts are tested.

Google "porting and polishing myth" for more...

Quick Reply: Is this PI intake trashed?