4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New clutch problems

Old 01-11-2011, 11:48 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Here's a vid I just made guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I5uEF9WxGA

If I keep the revs at like 1100-1200ish and roll off the clutch then I can take off pretty smoothly...otherwise this is what happens
Old 01-12-2011, 12:41 AM
jvog
5th Gear Member

hmmm. That seems kinda like clutch chatter. When I installed my clutch with the short block i had a lot of clutch chatter but when I reinstalled it with my heads/cams I didn't notice any so IDK what that indicates but just give it some time like doug said.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:17 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

I really don't think it should be doing this new or not...especially with an OEM 03 Cobra clutch. I really don't think there was anything wrong with my flywheel either.

What do you guys think is likely the cause? I know for a fact I sprayed the flywheel with some brakecleaner and wiped it down a bit but i'm not sure if it was resprayed and wiped clean again right before the clutch disc was lined up against it. I also don't know and frankly don't think the pressure plate was properly sprayed down and wiped.

I also know for a FACT that the pressure plate was hit with a loud impact gun...don't even know if it was done in a cross pattern. I read that it is crucial for the pressure plate to be torqued down properly and the specs for our cars is 33ft/lbs and then given a 60* turn after. Could this be it? As a matter of fact, every goddamn bolt on the car relating to the install was installed/removed with a damn impact wrench except for the flywheel bolts and the starter bolts. I shoulda said something but I trusted the dude.

I am really pissed off to be honest. I spent all this money on the parts and I was really excited to run this setup since my TOB has been squealing for over a year and I periodically went under the car to spray it with some grease to buy time. I was putting off the install because I've been busy with life issues. I have lots of problems with the car I am trying to fix one at a time and now it seems like I likely could have flushed all my money down the toilet and then some. I just wanna know which part of the install could likely have caused this so I can have some reasonable basis before I start making accusations.

Last edited by StriderTacticaL; 01-12-2011 at 08:23 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:49 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Honestly untill u get some mileage on it u won't know if its a real problem, clutch chatter is normal on a new instal usually and eventhough its an oem clutch its not an oem flywheel too.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:26 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

not sure this will help or not, but my stock clutch is relatively smooth. your shifter is shaking like crazy! that definitely doesn't look normal to me. i'm not an expert by any means but i've never seen the shifter shake like that after a new clutch was installed, regardless of its grip qualities.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:53 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Improper/uneven torquing of the PP to the flywheel can distort the assembly.

Also the PP bolts should be screwed in a bit at a time, evenly, in a cross-pattern, to prevent the PP cover from getting warped. Once the PP cover has fully contacted the flywheel the bolts can be torqued.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:33 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

step 1: take it back to shop
step 2: ask guy to ride in car with you while you show him proble
step 2a: tell him to fix it.
step 2b: ????
step 3: profit.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:24 PM
99GTM
1st Gear Member

On a completely unrelated note, where'd you get your spoiler Strider?
Old 01-13-2011, 09:40 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by zero2005
step 1: take it back to shop
step 2: ask guy to ride in car with you while you show him proble
step 2a: tell him to fix it.
This^
Tho I think it's chatter too
Should also feel the chatter at the clutch pedal
Old 02-04-2011, 06:05 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

So a quick little update...

I have over 1000 miles on the clutch now and the TOB is loud as hell and the rattle has gotten better but is still there.

I took my car back to the guy and basically he said he was is willing to change my TOB for me for free and remove the pressure plate to take a look to see how it looks and will even torque it on properly the way I want it done. He ordered a replacement clutch to sit at his shop incase it needs to be replaced, BUT,

I showed him the problem and I let him drive the car and he conclusively thinks the rattling is just from a grabby clutch. Because it don't rattle if I rev a lot higher than I did with the stock clutch while rolling off the clutch pedal when I take off from a standstill.

I told him that everyone I've heard running this clutch never complained of these problems. He basically said it's the combination of the clutch and the flywheel....and so it may also be the chromoly flywheel. I couldn't really say much since I don't know of anyone else running this exact same clutch and flywheel combo (OEM 03 Cobra clutch and a Ralco RZ chromoly lightened flywheel).

So my question is, could my problems just simply be from a grabby clutch? What are all th symptoms that point to this and not an improper install?

When he pulls the pressure plate, I think as long as we don't see any hotspots or anything visual to the eye, he may just think it's ok. Anything I can look out for?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoPdCkpo7qU

^^ Here's another video soon after the first one. It was taken with the clutch had about 80mi and now it has over 1000 and so the rattling isn't quite that bad anymore but it's still basically the same.

Thanks

Last edited by StriderTacticaL; 02-04-2011 at 06:08 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New clutch problems