4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Grinding going into 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 09:04 PM
bronxbomerss2
2nd Gear Member

Exclamation Grinding going into 2nd gear

ok so i just got my car GT today, and i had to drive 150 miles from the dealership home, so i had some times to play with the car, everything worked great and she looks good and drives really nice compared to my 00 V6, my only problem was and i must not have noticed it when i test drove it was when going from 1st to 2nd gear, while throwing it into 2nd the gear grinds, even when im at a stop and put it into 2nd it sometimes does it, i don't know what the clutch setup is but i assume it would be stock but i can't be certain, what kind of issue would cause this, also the car does not grind at all while in gear whatsoever, and 2nd is the only gear it grinds going into, thanks for all the help i really appreciate it!
Old 01-11-2011, 09:21 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

How much free play does the clutch pedal have? It should be 1" to 1¼" when you press on it with your hand, before you feel the TOB start to compress the clutch spring--if it is more than that then the clutch may not be fully disengaging, and dragging, and causing the gear clashing.

Here is a good article about using the OEM semi-automatic adjuster, including a method for manually improving the adjustment...
Old 01-11-2011, 10:01 PM
bronxbomerss2
2nd Gear Member

is it something is should be really concerned about, is it hurting the transmission?! thanks for the help man, this forum is golden for info!
Old 01-11-2011, 10:16 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by bronxbomerss2
is it something is should be really concerned about, is it hurting the transmission?! thanks for the help man, this forum is golden for info!
Short answer--Yes.

It should not be doing that, and it will not get better all by itself--how much free play is in the pedal?

One other issue is that the there is a TSB (04-15-6) recommending that the transmission fluid amount be reduced to 3.2qt from the original 3.8qt specification. Though this generally manifests itself as a 2-3 gear issue.

It is wise, if current status is unknown, to drain the transmission and refill it with 3.2qt.

I (and Tremec, the transmission manufacturer) recommend Mobil 1 ATF:

Old 01-11-2011, 10:21 PM
bronxbomerss2
2nd Gear Member

ok so this grinding has something to do with the clutch assembly or the clutch itself most likely and not the transmission? could it be a bad synchronizer?
Old 01-11-2011, 10:28 PM
bronxbomerss2
2nd Gear Member

i went and checked and pressed on the clutch pedal and i didn't have to press hardly at all to feel the cable pressure, if that was what you wanted me to check, when i have the car off i can go through 2nd gear without any grinding, idk if that would tell u anything, im not going to drive the car in the winter anyways but i just wanted to know what this might be thanks
Old 01-11-2011, 11:07 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

It sounds as though the cable is too tight, read the link to the cable adjustment procedure I posted, and do it... Then drain and re-fill the tranny with 3.2qt of fluid...
Old 01-11-2011, 11:12 PM
bronxbomerss2
2nd Gear Member

ok idk if this tells u anything but i started the car, when i put it in second (no gas car was idling) it grinded, i held the clutch in still and put the shifter in nuetral, then put it in second again, and no grinding, did this several times and nothing, it was fine, does that tell u anything?!
Old 01-13-2011, 12:32 AM
bronxbomerss2
2nd Gear Member

ok I'm affraid this is most likely a synchronizer issue, as this seems to be the case on a lot of T-3650 transmissions witch i wish i would have know 24 hours ago before i got the car, but i am going to take it to a ford dealer sometime this week and talk to a service manager to see what repairs might cost, im assuming 1-1.5k with labor and parts possibly higher, i drove the car today and it did it every time, although if i double clutched, it wouldn't grind going into 2nd gear, so idk if that helps, but looks like im SOL on this one
Old 01-13-2011, 01:38 PM
xmikevankuikenx
2nd Gear Member

Yup, synchronizer it is. Mine did the same thing going into 3rd. Mine only did it when it was cold outside though. Even at idle it grinded 3rd. Got a new 3-4 synchro and it fixed the grinding.

Quick Reply: Grinding going into 2nd gear