4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Fall on face after half throttle HELP..

Old 01-10-2011, 09:48 PM
stranger_32

Default Fall on face after half throttle HELP..

Have done evry thing i can thnk of,new coils,wires plugs,fuelfilter,fulepump. Had diagnostic ran it turned up nothing......????? starts fine runs great up to half throttle thn it acts like its turning into a fourbannger,let out an go easy great,i guess if ur a grandma...lol, ive poured over fourgrand into this car, wht's wrong an ideas?? any help wld b much aprishiated. going thru some seriouse mustang phsycosis!!!
Old 01-10-2011, 10:04 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

are you running on 7 pistons or something? have you dont a compression test? do you have anything in your oil like metal shavings/coolant/etc?
Old 01-10-2011, 10:19 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

i had the same problem, was the fuel pump but you replaced yours. what'd you replace it with?

check the cutoff switch in your trunk. tps switch is cheap enough to replace or you can check it with a multimeter. clean your maf. other than that i dunno.

Last edited by MU71L4710N; 01-10-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:20 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by MU71L4710N
i had the same problem, was the fuel pump but you replaced yours. what'd you replace it with?

check the cutoff switch in your trunk. tps switch is cheap enough to replace or you can check it with a multimeter. clean your maf. other than that i dunno.
If the intertia switch was tripped in the trunk, power to the fuel pump would totally be cut and the car wouldnt run at all.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:54 PM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

dumb, dumb question, have you cleaned your air filter? Went and test drove a car once, and it did the same thing, ease into the throttle, and it did fine, mash the gas, and it was like a pig walking up hill. opened the air cleaner, and it looked to have never been cleaned/changed.. dumb, yet easily over looked. not trying to insult anyone, but its an easy thing to check and rule out.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:28 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jtb727
dumb, dumb question, have you cleaned your air filter? Went and test drove a car once, and it did the same thing, ease into the throttle, and it did fine, mash the gas, and it was like a pig walking up hill. opened the air cleaner, and it looked to have never been cleaned/changed.. dumb, yet easily over looked. not trying to insult anyone, but its an easy thing to check and rule out.
not a dumb question at all. ive seen many ppl that never change or clean their air filter. then bitch about their fuel milage!
Old 01-15-2011, 12:02 AM
stranger_32

Originally Posted by 0949er
are you running on 7 pistons or something? have you dont a compression test? do you have anything in your oil like metal shavings/coolant/etc?
No i hvnt,dne compess tst,been researtching,gnna run 1. And,no nothing absolutly nuthing in the oil,or colant.
Wht about vacuum?? THe fuel systm seems to b directly tied to the fuel system on the '96?? anyone got any vacuum diagrams for it?? An im gnna check,the fuel press.reg.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:13 AM
stranger_32

OOOHHH NOOO,mor mny into the pony. GEEEZ will it eva stop?? Passenger side,rear or intake rght above #4cyl..... Yea,full of colant,GREAT.....#3 wet as well...Thnk i fnd the prob,who designed those dang plasti-fiber intakes,its craked? SO ive been told the 4.6L gt is notorious for this... SO folk's MO'MNY,into the mny pitt..... Any good ideas whr to get a good intake??? Cheap??? looked at some like 700.Buks,cant handle that,rght now but gotta fix her,used?? yea rght wijnd up with wht i got alrdy rght...lol Jus wanna get a staock one i guess,cheapest 4 now,She get me around for a year,an im gnna dat 4.6,an da computer,n shove a carburated 351 in her,got plans for her but need her to get me rnd for a while. love the car,fun.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:17 AM
GalaxiePete
1st Gear Member

Check your fuel pump pressure even though you have changed it. Had the same problem in my 89. Fuel pressure can look fine at idle and still not be fine also. Sure sounds like a weak pump. Does it whine at all? What type of pump did you put back in?

What about your TPS (Throttle Position Sensor)? Another possibility.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:20 AM
stranger_32

Oh,an for the record,u dnt offnd me cuz,ur rght,alota ppl wld nve chk the air clnr,but unfortuantly dats not my issue,jus cleand the K&N filter on the cold air intake.. Yes i also hav alrdy clnd the MAF,probed it chks out fine...TPS chks fine.. Need a digrahm of the vacuum system... ANYONE???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fall on face after half throttle HELP..