4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What do these numbers mean?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 02:57 PM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 98redstang
im warning ya dont start saying your top speed is gonna be slower... people will come on here and rip you a new one hahaha.
I for one am not concerned. A centri-blower takes good care of me there.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:59 PM
watman02
2nd Gear Member

if your really thinking of going with a t-56 I would ne get the mustang version and go for the version that came in the ls1 cars (minus the vette) or the Viper. It gives you the better 1-4 gears and the 6th gear is .50 thus better fuel mileage on the high way while letting you run high rear gears.
also I belive the tr-3650 5th gear is .62 rather than .68 as stated above.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:45 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

ok, i wont say "your top speed will be slower" ill say you'll bounce off the rev limit a bit faster if you dont shift

the refereces i have state .67 final gear for 01-04 GT's that came with 3.27's gears, and .62 for mach 1's that came with 3.55's. the .68 is listed as the newer 05+ 3650's.

what i'd like to see is to get the newer 6060's in our cars.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:46 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dragonus18
What kind of mpg increase could I expect city/highway from putting in this tranny?
this should not be any concern to you in choosing a tranny. it will be a negligable amount and nothing to write home about.

and i think the comment about the top speed was more geared towards people on here who flame other people for driving fast on public roads, as there arent exactly many sanctioned places to top your car out at.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:37 PM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MU71L4710N
this should not be any concern to you in choosing a tranny. it will be a negligable amount and nothing to write home about.

and i think the comment about the top speed was more geared towards people on here who flame other people for driving fast on public roads, as there arent exactly many sanctioned places to top your car out at.
I plan on keeping my car a daily driver so an increase IS desired! A DD needs to get good mpg so that way you can actually drive it around town and not fill up every 2 days when driving it normally. So, with that being said, does anyone know?
Old 01-17-2011, 10:23 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dragonus18
I plan on keeping my car a daily driver so an increase IS desired! A DD needs to get good mpg so that way you can actually drive it around town and not fill up every 2 days when driving it normally. So, with that being said, does anyone know?
the amount of money that you put into the trans just to get a bit of increase in MPG would be quite a disappointment. you'd be better of spending half the of money that you would put into the trans, into a cheap *** honda as a DD and keep the stang as a toy. the amount of mpg would be negligible. now, if you were getting it for a reason other than that, and the extra maybe 1-2 mpg you pick up is just a side benefit then yea, sure, go for it. but on a stock short block, i cant imagine anyone needing a T56.

its sort like those guys that go and buy bikes to "save gas" but if you think about it, the amount of cash you spend on the bike negates the first few years of driving just to pay itself off, with a cheapo "beater w/ a heater" you can at least drive it all year long.

"you gotta pay to play" - i've always told guys that complain about gas milage but drive cars that they think "eat gas". u want MPG, buy a 4 banger. hell, i've even been contemplating buying a cheap *** car for years, but all the funds i had saved up (and i even had to tap into my retirement) went into the new motor.

sorry for the rant, its just some things dont make sense. hell, if your worried about gas milage, swap the rear gears out for something numerically smaller! that'd be cheaper than the trans and would pick up the same or more MPG. IIRC older stangs came with like 2.73 in the rear. i myself am thinkin of goin from 3.73 down to 3.31, 3.27, or even 3.08! lol but thats for another reason..

EDIT: using http://www.paladinmicro.com/PalMFrame00.htm?wks=spd the speed charts show that the T56's are the same final drive as 3650's. the only one thats different would be the viper spec.

Last edited by zero2005; 01-17-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:51 AM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by zero2005
the amount of money that you put into the trans just to get a bit of increase in MPG would be quite a disappointment. you'd be better of spending half the of money that you would put into the trans, into a cheap *** honda as a DD and keep the stang as a toy. the amount of mpg would be negligible. now, if you were getting it for a reason other than that, and the extra maybe 1-2 mpg you pick up is just a side benefit then yea, sure, go for it. but on a stock short block, i cant imagine anyone needing a T56.

its sort like those guys that go and buy bikes to "save gas" but if you think about it, the amount of cash you spend on the bike negates the first few years of driving just to pay itself off, with a cheapo "beater w/ a heater" you can at least drive it all year long.

"you gotta pay to play" - i've always told guys that complain about gas milage but drive cars that they think "eat gas". u want MPG, buy a 4 banger. hell, i've even been contemplating buying a cheap *** car for years, but all the funds i had saved up (and i even had to tap into my retirement) went into the new motor.

sorry for the rant, its just some things dont make sense. hell, if your worried about gas milage, swap the rear gears out for something numerically smaller! that'd be cheaper than the trans and would pick up the same or more MPG. IIRC older stangs came with like 2.73 in the rear. i myself am thinkin of goin from 3.73 down to 3.31, 3.27, or even 3.08! lol but thats for another reason..

EDIT: using http://www.paladinmicro.com/PalMFrame00.htm?wks=spd the speed charts show that the T56's are the same final drive as 3650's. the only one thats different would be the viper spec.
Your rant is completely understandable but I've already put $10k into this car. I'm "paying to play" already. I just want to add that in as an added bonus. My concern isn't when I'm in boost. I could careless about it then. My concern is when I want to take a ride in it or take it to work/school. Extra MPG would help anyone and I know I'm not the only person who thinks this. During the engine build my goal is to get my stang getting 20mpg city and at least 30mpg highway. I know it can be done and my numbers are reasonable. I'm already looking at the weight removal thread on here and other sites to make this happen. Just because a car is fast doesn't mean it has to swallow gas like a **** just for grazing the accelerator pedal. Look at the ZR1 for example. 18 city and 35 highway on a 600+HP/TQ car. Look at that and tell me that it's not possible. Every 100lbs I remove is 1 MPG better that I get. I can remove 200lbs but adding in a tranny that helps me out couldn't hurt when I'm going to need it when I get support 600HP/TQ ANYWAYS!