4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:05 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Rear brake caliper piston issues!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 09:29 AM
MustangLouver
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
Go to autozone or wherever and rent the tool, it will save you hours of frustration. Some people manage to get away with simply turning the piston in a c/w direction, but in my own experience on both my Mustang and on the wife's van the pistons required compression effort along with turning. And btw, don't bother with that gay little square universal p.o.s. that snaps on to a ratchet, comepletely worthless.
Yea, the square thing didnt even math my caliper. I ground off two tabs and i still couldnt get the piston to go back in.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:58 AM
huey_33
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangLouver
Yea, the square thing didnt even math my caliper. I ground off two tabs and i still couldnt get the piston to go back in.
I did exactly what you did the last time I changed my brakes. I used the gay little cube thing and sawed off two tabs so that it would fit my caliper and it worked like a charm. The last time I changed my brakes I didn't have this much trouble. But I did get my caliper piston compressed back in yesterday I just couldn't get the caliper to seat back onto the bracket properly. So i'm about ready to try again now.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:23 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by huey_33
I did exactly what you did the last time I changed my brakes. I used the gay little cube thing and sawed off two tabs so that it would fit my caliper and it worked like a charm. The last time I changed my brakes I didn't have this much trouble. But I did get my caliper piston compressed back in yesterday I just couldn't get the caliper to seat back onto the bracket properly. So i'm about ready to try again now.

Did you read what I said? When you push the piston in completely its going to be off-center. You have to twist it back out a quarter turn to get the 2 indents in the piston to be straight up and down, so it matches up with the tabs on the new pad
Old 01-25-2011, 01:24 PM
huey_33
2nd Gear Member

UPDATE: Finally got the caliper back on. I figured out that the emergency brake cable was keeping the caliper from lining up to the bracket correctly. So I took the cable off and the caliper lined up perfectly. Now I'm having another issue. The piston on the caliper that I was having trouble with will not expand back onto the brakes and is still compressed all the way in. I keep pumping my brakes and even put more brake fluid in cause it was low and nothing is working. Help please!!
Old 01-25-2011, 01:33 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

You didnt have the e-brake on while you were doing the brakes did you? If so, you prolly wrecked the caliper lol. I really cant help you much more without being there. Sounds like you need a new caliper. Are both sides messed up? Have someone crack the bleeder while your pushing the brake pedal down...if fluid comes out then you have a bad caliper
Old 01-25-2011, 01:35 PM
huey_33
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
Did you read what I said? When you push the piston in completely its going to be off-center. You have to twist it back out a quarter turn to get the 2 indents in the piston to be straight up and down, so it matches up with the tabs on the new pad
Yes, I did read what you wrote and that still didn't help. Emergency brake cable was the culprit.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:37 PM
huey_33
2nd Gear Member

You didnt have the e-brake on while you were doing the brakes did you? If so, you prolly wrecked the caliper lol. I really cant help you much more without being there. Sounds like you need a new caliper. Are both sides messed up? Have someone crack the bleeder while your pushing the brake pedal down...if fluid comes out then you have a bad caliper
Nope, didn't have the e-brake on. I swear, if it's not one thing, it's another with this car.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:41 PM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

i don't see how the e-brake cable could keep the the caliper from seating. once the slots on the piston are lined up with nubs on the pad, its just a matter of holding the caliper down while you thread the bolts into the slide pins
Old 01-25-2011, 02:07 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

How is that so? Is that not how you bleed brakes?? Press on the brake and have someone break open the breether, then tighten it back down. I don't see how that means you have a bad caliper.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:32 PM
huey_33
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by smitty2919
How is that so? Is that not how you bleed brakes?? Press on the brake and have someone break open the breether, then tighten it back down. I don't see how that means you have a bad caliper.
Thats what I just did. But first I took the caliper back off, turned the piston so it would make contact with the brake pads and put the caliper back on. Had the wife press the brake pedal a few times while I opened the breather until fluid was steadily flowing out and then closed it. I think I had a lot of air in the brake lines at first cause fluid would just spurt out instead of flow out when the pedal was pressed. Seems to be working fine right now but we'll see.

Quick Reply: Rear brake caliper piston issues!!