4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Noob question about cams.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 12:08 PM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

Default Noob question about cams.

Ok. Cams sound sexy. Lets get that out of the air. Hence why I want them. Now here's my question that I couldn't find answers too by using the search button or calling manufacturers. I understand that when you're stepping on it that cams make you waste more gas. I'm cool with that but the one thing that no one can seem to answer to me is that when I'm not stepping on it and I'm just driving around normally (because my car is a daily driver) will it make me waste more gas or will I have the same gas mileage as before? I know that a lot of people aren't concerned with this but if you're going to daily drive a car its got to get decent gas mileage. I get about 250miles out of a tank in my GT and it's got a procharger P-1SC stage 2 kit on it and when I drive it normally I still get 18 city/25-35 highway.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Franchi
4th Gear Member

Yes your mpg will get worse if you are getting on WOT or not. Be more when on WOT all the time but even driving conservative, mpg will be down a bit with cams.

A lot depends on which cams you get though. I put the Comp Thumpr cams in my 06 GT and my mpg dropped 1 to 1.5 mpg.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:10 PM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Franchi
Yes your mpg will get worse if you are getting on WOT or not. Be more when on WOT all the time but even driving conservative, mpg will be down a bit with cams.

A lot depends on which cams you get though. I put the Comp Thumpr cams in my 06 GT and my mpg dropped 1 to 1.5 mpg.
I was looking at getting blower cams since I have a procharger kit on my stang. I called trickflow and the guy told me that stage 2 cams don't kill gas during normal driving conditions "he thinks." I need to be certain before I put them on because once I put them on there's no going back and I do a decent amount of driving. I need my MPG.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Franchi
4th Gear Member

I think a lot of that simple has to do with that duration the cam spec are running. I know Brenspeed came out with some Detroit Rocker cams ground specifically for blowers but how that application relates to the mpg, I dunno to be honest.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:32 PM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Franchi
I think a lot of that simple has to do with that duration the cam spec are running. I know Brenspeed came out with some Detroit Rocker cams ground specifically for blowers but how that application relates to the mpg, I dunno to be honest.
I appreciate the feedback and honesty. Is there someone else out there that knows perhaps?????
Old 02-03-2011, 01:56 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Depending on the amount of overlap, duration, etc, gas mileage will decrease a bit. It's just a byproduct of the design. When i did mine, my MPG's dropped a little, but i didn't buy the car for economy lol.

What cams are you looking at besides Trick Flow?
Old 02-03-2011, 04:18 PM
HasABetterSN
3rd Gear Member

I remember when I was researching getting a stage 2 heads and cam combo from MHS, Nick told me I should expect about a 2mpg loss in the city.. so I would assume cams by themselves wouldnt exceed that
Old 02-03-2011, 04:37 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

depends on the cam and theres no way you get 35 highway sorry...
Old 02-03-2011, 07:47 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

check out MHS for cams (www.modularheadshop.com)
you gotta pay to play. your willing to pay the expense for cams and yet are worried about MPG?
IMO, spend the 600-1000 you'd spend on cams and buy a POS honda or something to save gas. or swap to a lower gear ratio.

blower cams wont be as aggressive as you might think either. nothing like some good N/A cams. you'll need to be careful with too aggressive a cam too, because you can push the valve into the top of the piston. dunno how much boost your pushin with your p1sc either, but you might be very close to the limit of a stock block, unless you've built it.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:26 PM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by zero2005
check out MHS for cams (www.modularheadshop.com)
you gotta pay to play. your willing to pay the expense for cams and yet are worried about MPG?
IMO, spend the 600-1000 you'd spend on cams and buy a POS honda or something to save gas. or swap to a lower gear ratio.

blower cams wont be as aggressive as you might think either. nothing like some good N/A cams. you'll need to be careful with too aggressive a cam too, because you can push the valve into the top of the piston. dunno how much boost your pushin with your p1sc either, but you might be very close to the limit of a stock block, unless you've built it.
This is once I've built it of course and to 98 red stang I know what I got. I had it tuned for good gas mileage. I was driving 55mph, windows up, cruise control on, and A/C off. Get my mods and tune it for gas mileage and THEN you can tell me I'm lying. I didn't start this thread to argue with you. I have a question and I want info on it. Plain and simple. If you don't want to contribute than get lost so I can read the responses of less judgmental people who are willing to help me get knowledge on the subject matter.

Quick Reply: Noob question about cams.