4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Camber bolts with lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 02:00 PM
mineralpony
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Camber bolts work, however because of the way they work they are of necessity lesser diameter than the stock bolts. This, combined with the "steps" at either side of the eccentric cam, make the overall design inherently weaker.

I.e. they are now where near as strong as the stock bolt, even if made from the same grade of steel as used in the stock bolt-which is a very high grade alloy heat treated to Ford's demanding specifications.

BTW--for years they have been "crash bolts"--any guesses as to why?

The smaller diameter means are torqued less tightly, meaning they support lesser loads--and because they are not as strong they stretch, and come loose, and should be checked every 10k miles or so. After they have stretched for a while they will eventually snap after you have re-torqued them 5 or 6 times.

Which is good 'cause otherwise they would snap while you were driving...

Other than that they are great...

They make CC plates because they are safer and a far superior way to correct alignment problems than using inherently weaker bolts of unknown material and manufacture.

If you want to lower a new-edge 2" or more, and do it properly, use drop-spindles:

Safe, Cheap, Fast--pick any two.
Wow. Thanks that helped out quite a bit. I guess i'll try to find some used plates for around a hundred bucks if I can. Thank you again.