4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

4.6L 2v swap to 5.4L 2v

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 12:24 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush
Ok so to add to that question, if you use the adaptor plates, any intake / head combo currently on the 4.6L will work on the 5.4L short block then?

I actually had a 5.4L short block offered to me at work today, so I'm glad this thread was started. (So much for not modding it too much, huh? LOL)
yes. ANY set of heads for a 4.6L will bolt to the 5.4 including TFS heads (obviously the cams as well), and with the adapter plate ANY intake mani for a 4.6 will bolt to the new setup. however...to quote off the link i posted:

If you use the HPS intake then the top end picks up quite a bit and you can see gains of 15-30hp or more. Each engine is different so there's no guarantees but these are numbers that are not uncommon and won't set you up for disappointment. The current record NA that we've been able to find is 340/340 to the tires on ported PI heads. The HPS intake allows better underhood clearance and helps stretch the power band on the 5.4 back out to a useful point. Adapter plates move the injector up higher and fuel no longer sprays unimpeded at the back of the valve. This results in higher fuel consumption and a requirement for a good bit more fuel in the tune. The plates are simply a band-aid that has been superseded by the HPS intake. Adapter plates average about 250-375 bucks depending on which brand you get. The HPS intake is 695 and ADDS on average 20-30hp. When's the last time you were able to make an honest 30hp from a bolt-on part for 400 bucks? Exactly. It's worth it and it's stupid easy to bolt up.

there are multiple reasons to avoid the adapter plates unless funding doesnt allow or you have a 4.6 manifold you are in love with already. the HPS intake was designed for the 5.4L mustang swap, so top end powerband was given unlike low/mid power like a truck manifold does if that was your concern.

^ and yes the GT wiring harness/ECU will work fine for a 4v motor. at most you will have to splice some extra length to a couple wires but its nothing major. if you do a 3v swap things will get a little trickier though. if the 3v 5.4L is the same as the 4.6L you will either need to use the 3v computer to keep the VVT and use the 3v (throttle by wire?) throttle body, or you can keep your 2v computer and use camgear lockouts to block the VVT and you will have to make an adapter plate for a cable driven TB.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:40 PM
erikka.paige
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MU71L4710N
there are already several good writeups for 5.4 swaps. this thread will answer pretty much every question you have.

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...-write-up.html

2v, 3v, and 4v heads from a 4.6 will bolt directly to a 5.4 and vice versa. the crank is 8 bolt so your flywheel will work. if the motor started out a 4v you will have extra timing chains and stuff that need to be removed. not sure about 3v exactly, but 2v is def no problem.

like said...you can use 200$ adapter plates to use a PI manifold, but for 600$ you can buy the HPS intake that adds 25-30hp (so technically your only spending 400$ for 30+ hp).

not sure about PTV...dont know what kinda pistons are in the 5.4.

k member isnt necessary the 5.4 has the same mounting points as the 4.6, but if you want to go with a tubular by all means, now is better than after the motor is in the car.
My bigest hope with a new K-member is shed some LB and drop the motor down some and I still have had no luck with PTV answers
Old 02-13-2011, 09:58 AM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

because the 5.4 has a taller deck height...the bore is the same the stroke is much longer though to give it the extra displacement. this means the heads are spaced further apart than on the 4.6 motor.
Forgot about the higher deck height.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:29 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

yes. ANY set of heads for a 4.6L will bolt to the 5.4 including TFS heads (obviously the cams as well), and with the adapter plate ANY intake mani for a 4.6 will bolt to the new setup.
I had non PI SVO heads and RPP Eaton blower set up in mind.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:00 PM
Drag Racer Dave

I went to http://www.lunatipower.com/Tech/Pist...ionHeight.aspx and did a quick calculation. It looks like the 5.4 piston sits up about .1112" higher off of the deck.

I would soft spring it to find out what you are going to run into for PV clearance. You may also want to reach out to one of the places that does modular heads and ask them.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:33 PM
EcRuckus

Ive been doing research on this swap for a short period of time. Planning on doing it in my car this summer. My plans...
Need to buy...
5.4 bottom end
5.4 front cover and timing components
10.5" flywheel and clutch( I have heard of someone retro fitting an 11" and quote "It was stupid easy" not sure how tho...
HPS Intake
24lb injectors
Comp 270 cams( the duration of these cams should work well with the stroke of the 5.4

Swapping over from 4.6...
Heads port and polish ( the 5.4 2v heads and 4.6 2v heads are the same. Not sure about other years I know for 03 they are other years shouldnt change)
Sensors, this way the harness is plug and play, still would need a tune obviously
Oil pan ( be sure to bend the fins down otherwise crank hits pan) That is bad
Mounts both motors use the same mounts

Only known issues taller deck height meaning minimum clearance for exhaust mainly on passenger side, if using stock manifold there is a useless nipple like thing at the dowpipe flange shave it off. all other shorty headers should work longtubes are custom only. may update this feel like im forgetting something. feel free to chime in.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:55 PM
Trackstar1319
1st Gear Member

I am in the process of doing a 5.4 swap right now and I see lots of people recommend the HPS intake over the adapter plates. I can understand switching from the plastic intake to the HPS because of the performance gain. What Im trying to ask is I have a nice intake now and I plan on getting the adapter plates from reichard racing for it. Does the HPS just have some special intake for the 5.4l that adds 20-30 hp or do people just say that because its an upgrade from the stock intake, because I will just stick with mine and get the adapter because its an upgraded intake already.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:01 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

You'll be disappointed if you stick with the stock 5.4 intake. I've thought about doing this swap and found that at a minimum you need to get an aftermarket intake for the 5.4. Just with the intake along most people are seeing 260rwhp. Which isn't bad but not worth it IMO
Old 03-15-2011, 11:03 PM
Trackstar1319
1st Gear Member

Also do the adapter plates hurt the performance? (There only 1 inch) because if that's the case I will just sell my intake and buy the HPS, it will end up costing the same amount as the adapter plates.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:05 PM
Trackstar1319
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
You'll be disappointed if you stick with the stock 5.4 intake. I've thought about doing this swap and found that at a minimum you need to get an aftermarket intake for the 5.4. Just with the intake along most people are seeing 260rwhp. Which isn't bad but not worth it IMO
I don't have a stock 5.4 intake I have my PP intake from my 4.6.

Quick Reply: 4.6L 2v swap to 5.4L 2v