4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

can't get 02 sensors out

Old 02-15-2011, 09:54 PM
bronxbomerss2
2nd Gear Member

Default can't get 02 sensors out

i need some help guys, i can't get these 02 sensors off the o/r x pipe, ive put tons of wd40 on them and still nothing, i let the wd40 soak overnight but still no budge, i have the exhaust off the car, i even have the 02 sensor rachet but the damn thing wont budge, any suggestions?!
Old 02-15-2011, 10:00 PM
WoahPony
3rd Gear Member

try using a half inch drive ratchet if you can... and if that doesnt work... and you don't care too much about the sensor itself... you could always just do what I did and use a home depot gas torch and a pipe wrench. =)
Old 02-15-2011, 10:16 PM
bronxbomerss2
2nd Gear Member

im using a half inch drive, nothing bro, even used a 22inch wrench and the damn thing curved, it didn't budge, so now im just gona try and use a crap load of wd40 and try to use a hair dryer to create some heat and see where that gets me, if nothing ill have my pops take it to work and get it off, hes a mechanic so we'll see, but damn this thing isn't easy, whew!
Old 02-15-2011, 10:26 PM
WoahPony
3rd Gear Member

I had the unfortunate burden of having to remove one of these while the exhaust was still on the damn car. The threads were completely rotted out and seized up. I went to the good ol home depot and bought one of those hand held torches and just fried the thing and kept going at it with a pipe wrench. it came out, but effed wit the threads on the pipe itself, so you also need to keep that in mind and try to be careful
Old 02-15-2011, 10:37 PM
bronxbomerss2
2nd Gear Member

yeah its on a pypes o/r x pipe the previous owner had this installed with most likely pypes shorty headers, bc they aren't stock thats for sure, and yet kept the stock cat back mufflers? weird but regardless these damn things are impossible to get out it seems
Old 02-15-2011, 10:43 PM
WoahPony
3rd Gear Member

If you don't put some anti seize on them when installing its just asking for problems, these things are constantly in contact with exhaust gas... just think about it.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:51 PM
bronxbomerss2
2nd Gear Member

yeah not sure what the previous owner did or did not do, all i know is im exhausted (excuse the pun) from trying to get them out
Old 02-15-2011, 10:55 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Dont know if this will help in your case, but if I have the space and they wont come off with a regular 7/8s wrench, I use a hammer and smack the wrench. Are you replacing the sensor? If so cut the wires off, use the box end, and smack the wrench with a hammer to try and impact it loose
Old 02-15-2011, 10:59 PM
WoahPony
3rd Gear Member

I really wish you the best of luck man. I've rebuilt engines, done body and paint work, upholstered custom interiors and wired entire cars... and nothing, I mean NOTHING induces a migraine like exhaust work... it's the worst.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:05 PM
Cobrajets
1st Gear Member

Try using PB Blaster or Sneaky Pete to soak it for a few minutes or so. It penetrates much better than WD-40. Then maybe a small propane torch around the O2 bung for a couple minutes. That should get it out. An impact gun would help, too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: can't get 02 sensors out