4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Importance of torque specs??

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 03:06 PM
mineralpony
2nd Gear Member

Default Importance of torque specs??

So i decided to put my lowering springs on at home. When doing this, I realized there are some things that I have to torque up to a certain level.

Is this really necessary? How about the lug nuts?
Old 02-18-2011, 03:35 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Honestly, every front end I've done on a mustang never gets torqued to 'spec' tight is tight ya kno. Use common sense. Its a matter of feel anymore to me. But I have also been doin it for years. If you're that unsure, then by all means torque the stuff down.. But its not necessary in my eyes. The only thing I torque anymore is engine components, drivetrain, trans.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:36 PM
harbre32
2nd Gear Member

very important. I have seen rotors warp due to not torquing lug nuts correctly.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:43 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

I do it just in case.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:44 PM
kast1376
3rd Gear Member

Try not torquing your plugs, and see how much fun it is blowing out a plug!
Old 02-18-2011, 04:18 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

Torque specs are overrated and there for people who like wasting time. It you have any common sense at all, you can tell if it's tight enough.

The only things that need to be torqued to spec are things like head bolts, rod bolts, basically major engine components, and a few odds and ends there. Oh, and spark plugs on modular motors cause they decided 4 threads was enough.

You'll be fine just making sure everything is tight.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:00 PM
mineralpony
2nd Gear Member

Thanks. I don't think i'll get a torque wrench then. Oh, and how do you put the tire back on? I know it sounds stupid but someone told me that if not put on in a a ceratin pattern, it will fall off at highway speeds. I totally call b.s. on this one but just making sure. I've been using the star pattern.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:58 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by mineralpony
Oh, and how do you put the tire back on? I know it sounds stupid but someone told me that if not put on in a a ceratin pattern, it will fall off at highway speeds. I totally call b.s. on this one but just making sure. I've been using the star pattern.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:19 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

I always use common sense when deciding what needs to use a specified torque. But I have been working on cars a few years so I know what I can get away with.
I do feel that lug nuts are something that should be torqued. And yes the star pattern is what you use or do every other one. I like to snug up all the lug nuts first and than go back and torque them.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:17 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

I don't think lug nuts have to be torqued to "spec." They just have to be torqued evenly.

I use the star pattern and a 100 ft/lbs torque stick on an impact gun. It's not the most accurate torque but it's good enough, and I've never had a wheel fall off.

Also, someone mentioned something about warping rotors. While it is possible the most common cause of warped rotors is driving and having the rotors nice and hot (normal), and then going through a puddle or something and they cool off really fast and warp. Which can happen regardless of properly torqued lugs.

Again, just use common sense and you'll be fine.

Quick Reply: Importance of torque specs??