4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What is a quad shock?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 12:37 AM
Obselite
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: What is a quad shock?

hahaha why?

Old 08-25-2005, 12:28 PM
Jglisson
3rd Gear Member

Poser! You give motorsports a bad name!
Old 08-25-2005, 01:17 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

I have an idea. Let me email someone with some ACTUAL road racing knowledge and see what he says...

BRB.

Old 08-25-2005, 01:56 PM
TMC
1st Gear Member

I can’t even tell what the real question here is!

Do you need quad shocks? Note if you have a decent LCA and tires. I’ve never used them and have pulled them from the car soon after getting it. Quad shocks are simply a band-aid for the real problems.

What shocks/struts to get? Well, toss you’re idea of perfect ride and handling out the window. You can have a decent ride with good handling but IMO you need to decide what you want and make it happen or you will never be happy with the results. If you want a good handling car than you’ll need to sacrifice a little in ride quality. If you want your car to ride like a Cadillac…go but a Cadillac!

So really, what shock/strut to get…hmmmm…really depends on the money you are willing to spend on this thing. The reality is that if you are never going to take this car to the road coarse then it doesn’t really matter. If you ARE going to bring the car to some track days or some serious corner carving on the public roads then you will only be cheating yourself by not using the right (read: more expensive) shocks/struts such as Koni’s.

My suggestion is to go with Griggs Racing products and use what they suggest for best results. However Griggs won’t be cheap. They use mostly Koni the last time I dealt with them.

Decide what you are going to do with the car and then buy the stuff that fits you’re needs. And be realistic! Too many internet F#$king racers buy this sort of thing for the bling factor and simply don’t need it. If you are not going to do any track days or canyon carving…go to Pep Boys and pick up whatever you fancy.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:58 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

Thank you Troy.

Old 08-25-2005, 02:04 PM
TMC
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jdaniel

To tell you the gods honest truth, I would invest in a Saleen suspension if you really wanted to get into road racing. I drove my buddys Saleen on and off while he was gone for the month of July and that is by far the best handeling car I have driven in my entire life. Ive driven a lot of different cars and this one beats all the others by far, and he hasnt even done subframes yet.
Well...to each his own but the Saleen stuff really doesn't impress me. Have you ever seen the Saleen panhard rip right out of the car because of the cheasy mounting points they choose? I have. Not something I would use or suggest to anyone!
Old 08-25-2005, 02:10 PM
Obselite
3rd Gear Member

sooo, i take it that saleen suspension would be a bad choice? lol

Anyways, how did you get those cobra heads on ur gt?
Old 08-25-2005, 02:13 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

His car is a 5.0. The Cobra heads bolt right on. On that note, I have a set in my garage that I'll sell you at a steal of a price. $375 + shipping.

Old 08-25-2005, 02:24 PM
TMC
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Obselite

sooo, i take it that saleen suspension would be a bad choice? lol

Anyways, how did you get those cobra heads on ur gt?

IMO yes, bad choice.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:50 PM
Obselite
3rd Gear Member

wow...i definately cannot afford that griggs suspension right now..
jus bought a blower, bout to order forged internals...noooo way lol

i need something cheaper, i was thinking h+r super sport springs with some bilstein gas shocks.

i was wondering, can u use convertible springs on a coupe? Because if so, I can get the raked look that I want...i cant see why they wouldnt work.

Sidewayz: what kind of heads? ported? mileage? year of car they were on?

Quick Reply: What is a quad shock?