4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

P.A.T.S. IS KILLING MY HOPES !

Old 02-28-2011, 11:56 AM
Dj96cnvrtblgt

Default P.A.T.S. IS KILLING MY HOPES !

Thanks to all the help on here I was able to troubleshoot, find and replace the bad ccrm in my stang but now this pain in *** pats is keeping my car that's been down over a month now from starting. I've seen a few ppl boast about being able to defeat it but nobody wants to share and the dealer says tow it in and for $100.00 diagnostic fee we can tell ya what it's gonna cost to fix it! It's flashing out a 1-6 code which means fault between the module and the eecv...so I'm going to start looking in the steering column and see what's up but would much rather disable it if possible...
Old 02-28-2011, 11:58 AM
Dj96cnvrtblgt

Also if someone knows something but doesn't wanna tell the world of wanna be car thieves other methods of communication are available...im just sayin...
Old 02-28-2011, 03:28 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The instrument cluster and PCM are joined by a common security ID that is programmed at the factory, if either is changed without also changing the mated other (or either one is damaged), the system will lock down and it will take a dealer, proof of ownership, and a call to Ford to unlock it.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:29 PM
LS WHAT
2nd Gear Member

pats can be disabled by the owner, it's in your owners manual, it will tell you the steps to disable it.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:51 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

At the dealership it takes 10 minutes to even access the PATS system. You bring it up on the IDS and it makes you wait 600 seconds. Its all about security and theft. You could have a bad chip in the key, transceiver, etc..
Old 02-28-2011, 05:09 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by LS WHAT
pats can be disabled by the owner, it's in your owners manual, it will tell you the steps to disable it.
This is not so, there is nothing in the owner's manual about disabling PATS--it's barely mentioned in the shop manual...
Old 02-28-2011, 07:02 PM
65mechanic
2nd Gear Member

I'm pretty sure I had the same problem. Theft light flashing, "----------" across the odometer readout. Just keeps turning over. Brought it to the stealership, they first off replaced the instrument cluster, that didn't fix it. Then they installed a new computer, something about it getting really hot and not wanting to start. My problem would only happen when the car was baking hot. (ie. sitting in the sun for 5 hours). Hope this helps.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:01 PM
LS WHAT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
This is not so, there is nothing in the owner's manual about disabling PATS--it's barely mentioned in the shop manual...
hmmm, I wonder how I disabled my pats. I know... I wished it and it just happened.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:23 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

hmmm, I wonder how I disabled my pats. I know... I wished it and it just happened.
Give us the quote in your manual that tells you how to turn PATS off. I wont be holding my breath.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:08 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Please show me where in the owners manual it says that. Page 52-59 is where I would like you to start

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: P.A.T.S. IS KILLING MY HOPES !