4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Why?!?! Please help me!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 12:01 PM
idcoocheimonster
3rd Gear Member

Default Why?!?! Please help me!

So I installed a Bama custom tune on my car. I gotta say the tune worked great. But now I'm having cooling issues. I called them and they said it shouldn't have anything to do with the tuner; So I'm asking here.

I installed a mishimoto 14 in electric fan yesterday.. All day yesterday the fan would come on when it was supposed to. No I'm all the way to the "L" in Normal, and the fan won't kick on. I can trick it into starting as long as I turn on the A/C but otherwise it wont come on.

What's going on with my car?

Also once it got to that level, even turning on the A/C, which turns on the fan, wouldn't bring it down. The fan is a one speed unit, and I have it wired to turn on when the "low speed fan" is supposed to kick on.

I'm so fed up with it, I wanna rip it apart. Please help.

Edit: coolant levels are up to par, and I'm assuming the relays are good, since the fan turns on with the A/C.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:08 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

You have the it wired wrong. I'm not sure how you wired this fan but the factory harness has 3 wires, low speed, high speed, and a ground. If you're fan is kicking on when you turn the ac on that means you ONLY have the high speed wired (if u spliced into the factory wirring of course). The stock mustang fan ONLY operates on high when the engine is hot AND the ac is turned on. I have a flex a lite slimboy on mine and when I wired it I simple connected the power wire of the flexalite onto the low speed power wire of the stock fan, connected the ground, and left the high speed wire tapped off and disconnected.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:14 PM
idcoocheimonster
3rd Gear Member

Thats exactly what I did. I spliced into the red wire, rather than the orange/blue wire. Like I said the fan was working perfectly fine yesterday and this morning. When I installed the tune is when these problems started happening. Could it be that the thermostat for the fan burnt out?

And maybe all those sources were wrong, I personally don't know; but I've been told by more than one person that the high will come on without the A/C but at a different temperature. The A/C coming on kicks the fan on at any temp. Even through the low speed wire.

Last edited by idcoocheimonster; 03-03-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:08 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Did you try going back to stock tune?

Oh and keith, I dont think your sig is small enough could you please make it larger?
Old 03-03-2011, 01:11 PM
idcoocheimonster
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
I don't know why, but the first time I went back to stock it didn't fix the problem. I re-installed and still nothing.

I let the car sit for about 30 minutes while I was on here bitching. When I got frustrated and decided to return to stock yet again, just in case. Low and behold PEFRFECTION! the fan cut on right when it was supposed to. I installed the tune, and yet again it worked like a charm. My car is running perfect again.

Thank you all. I'm still wondering what the hell happened, but glad its working.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:24 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by idcoocheimonster
Thats exactly what I did. I spliced into the red wire, rather than the orange/blue wire. Like I said the fan was working perfectly fine yesterday and this morning. When I installed the tune is when these problems started happening. Could it be that the thermostat for the fan burnt out?

And maybe all those sources were wrong, I personally don't know; but I've been told by more than one person that the high will come on without the A/C but at a different temperature. The A/C coming on kicks the fan on at any temp. Even through the low speed wire.
If you have any doubt which wire is which just attach the grounds, then attach both speed stock wires to the power wire on the new fan. I would check to make sure your connections you spliced are tight and I would highley recommend actually soldering and heat wrapping them. The high speed will NOT come on without the air conditioning turned on. I deleted my A/C hence not connecting the high speed wire in my situation.
If your problem just magically is working and not working sounds like a bad connection.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:26 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT

Oh and keith, I dont think your sig is small enough could you please make it larger?
I suxxor at computers, think you can resize it for me I just noticed its king kong sized.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:35 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

gimme a link to the pic ill handle it
Old 03-03-2011, 02:05 PM
idcoocheimonster
3rd Gear Member

Well after reinstalling the tune, I played with the temp settings for the fan. I now have it set for the Low Speed at 200, and the high speed at the highest setting. I think since I dont have anything connected to the high speed it was trying to turn something on that wasnt there. Hence the over heating.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:45 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by idcoocheimonster
Well after reinstalling the tune, I played with the temp settings for the fan. I now have it set for the Low Speed at 200, and the high speed at the highest setting. I think since I dont have anything connected to the high speed it was trying to turn something on that wasnt there. Hence the over heating.
Just an FYI, if your car runs on the warm side in the summer and you use your air conditioning you may run into a problem. The peak CFM of the stock fan is alot higher than the peak CFM on that mishimotor fan. I didn't worry about it with because I delelted the A/C, but just want to give you a fair warning that your car may run a little hot with the a/c on.