4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Ones whom have the jmod

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 05:27 PM
harbre32
2nd Gear Member

Default Ones whom have the jmod

few questions for people that have done it to their own, not have a buddy that did it or read somewhere, but peeps that have done it to their own stang.
1. is it hard to do with instruction or is it just time consuming?

2. can i royaly eff something up while doing the instiall?

3. was it worth it? faster times to prove it?

thanks guys
Old 03-09-2011, 05:35 PM
Chieflikalotapus
2nd Gear Member

Subscribing......... What is this jmod you speak of? Lol.......... Seriously
Old 03-09-2011, 05:46 PM
n03stang
1st Gear Member

Pass on the jmod. Go straight to a transgo hd2 you will thank me later
Old 03-09-2011, 07:06 PM
harbre32
2nd Gear Member

like i said im looking for input form those that have done it to their stangs
Old 03-10-2011, 05:06 AM
SilvrStang
6th Gear Member

Any serious trans builder HATE transgo shift kits because they say it shortens the life of the trans. I have stage 2 transgo so far its great 2 years later after the trans has been purchased.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:08 AM
n03stang
1st Gear Member

AnY reputable trans builder will say he transgo shift kit prolongs the life of the transmission. I had a jmod on my aode and it was sloppy. It isn't hard to do. You just really need to pay attention to directions. If you drill the wrong whole out in the separator plates you could screw something up. Also if you over torque the valve body going back in you can bend the manual valve and the shifter will stck and you could ruin the manual valve.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:08 AM
Airman21
2nd Gear Member

I have had a transgo shift kit on my car since 2003 and it still works great!.. Sorry no input on the jmod.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:25 PM
harbre32
2nd Gear Member

With the transgo stage 2. Can you manual shift with that. Or do u have to get the stage 3?
Old 03-11-2011, 03:54 AM
n03stang
1st Gear Member

It will allow you to have full manual control and full auto control.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:38 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

n03stang is an idiot. The JMOD is well worth it and the modification was literally designed by the one of the ford engineers who designed this transmission. He now works for SCT. He knows exactly what hes talking about, unlike n03stang. Yes you can royally **** something up if you do it wrong. And yeah I would say its relatively challenging to do especially if you dont have a lift. The hardest part is getting the large accumulator retainer ring out(I think its 2-3 shift accumulator) It will take you a whole day if drained correctly during the process. Some kit sellers suggest not to remove the specified accumulator springs but you will severely regret not taking them out. All they do is act like a shock absorber for the shift. So while taking these out do make the shift naturally more harsh, the gains in speed and firmness are worth it because you can use a handheld to lower line pressure to make shifts comfortable. While you're at it make sure you change your fluid filter and dont forget to put the tiny little filter back in, you will know what I am talking about. If drained correctly it will take right at 8 quarts to get back to normal fluid level.

The JMOD effects two different aspects of the shift, speed and firmness. With the stock shift pressures and stock valve body the car has a noticeable delay in the shift and its "sloppy." The J-MOD involves porting out select fluid flow holes in the valve body allowing much more fluid to move at once through these canals. This allows it to shift much faster and actually much cooler by lowering the line pressure needed for the fast shifts. This porting also makes the shift much firmer and have a "punch" to it. The best thing about it all is that if you have a handheld you can adjust the shift pressure and if put on "0" it will shift very very comfortably. So if you got your lady friend with you she wont be complainin. But know that putting shift pressure at max with a J-MOD will make the shifts really violent in firmness but quick its really fun but you WILL NOT want it in anykind of traffic.

I highly suggest buying your J-MOD valve body kit from Darrin @ BC Automotive. It will require sending him your stock valve body once you make the swap, or he will charge a core charge of like 50 bucks or something.

Quick Reply: Ones whom have the jmod